back to article FBI: No evidence of water system hack destroying pump

Federal officials said there's no evidence to support a report that hackers destroyed a pump used by an Illinois-based water utility after gaining unauthorized access to the computer system it used to operate its machinery. In an email sent on Tuesday afternoon to members of the Industrial Control Systems Joint Working Group, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. AdamWill
    Joke

of course not

"Federal officials said there's no evidence to support a report that hackers destroyed a pump used by an Illinois-based water utility after gaining unauthorized access to the computer system it used to operate its machinery."

Well, of course there's no evidence. The pump was <i>destroyed</i>.

1. Alan B
      FAIL

Ah, but....

**Well, of course there's no evidence. The pump was <i>destroyed</i>**

Yes, but the computer controlling it wasn't, and it would be the computer that was hacked, not the pump itself.

2. MooseNC
    Devil

Hmm.

BOFH #7.

""Oh well, never mind, we'll have to do the power surge idea... Ok, quick as you can, I want you to flick the power switch of your PC on and off 30 times"

"Should I take my disks out?"

"NO! Do you want to lose all your data!?!"

"Oh! NO! Ok.."

I listen carefully.. ..

...clicky..clikcy...clikky.. .. .. ...clicky. ...cliccy.. . . BOOM! "

THAT'S what happened!!!!

3. rrevolverr

REDIR MSG, Co(s)mic.

http://forums.theregister.co.uk/post/1241280

4. kain preacher

@AdamWill

The other explanation could be this. The equipment is so old that hell how can you tell if it was the hack, lack of maintenance or the fact that it's so damn old that caused it to break. American instruction is beyond shambles. We have middle class communities that can't keep the power on cause the power company is to damn cheap to do proper maintenance.

5. jake Silver badge

During the meanwhile ...

Why is anyone daft enough to connect SCADA to TehIntraWebTubesAtLarge[tm] still gainfully employed?

I've fired COOs and CTOs of Fortune 2500s for less ...

6. Pete 8

Sometimes...

...playing ketchup finds no hot tomato footprints leaving with the beans.

Or can we count on the earlier report as being FUD pie, phishing for cold war reminiscing?

Was Weiss Wise?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like