back to article Assange hires Pirate Bay lawyer

Julian Assange has ditched his Swedish legal counsel and lined up a new defence team in readiness for a likely return to the country to face allegations of sexual molestation and rape against two women. His new lawyers include Per Samuelson, who in 2009 represented Carl Lundström – one of the co-founders of notorious …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

just get it over with. Go there and answer few question and/or stand for trail.

If you broke the local law then you have broken the local law, whether that law makes any sense is not the matter for discussion. If someone drove on the wrong side of the road while visiting the UK, they can't refuse the ticket just because it was the "right" side of the road where s/he came from.

when in Rome, do as the Romans do

2. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Go

<Yawn>

There's troubled, there's desperate, and then there's A$$nut! Looks like an attempt to gain sympathy with the crackerz and pirates. "Go" icon, as in "Please go grow a pair and go away to Sweden, you irritating, sycophantic man."

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wonder if he's going to repay the 200k his celebrity friends have coughed up so far - he should just go and face his accusors - not sure all this delaying could not make him appear more likely to be guilty of the charges.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I got into trouble once and had the worlds shittiest lawyer representing me.

Nice that this potential rapist has the option of multiple fancy lawyers and the funds to switch between them despite never having had a "real" job.

I wish I had the luxury to do this.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"despite never having had a "real" job."

running a website that people visit is a "real" job, if it can put food on the table.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I think you are making the mistaken assumption

that he actually is running the website as opposed to outsourcing it to pauper wage slaves in Indonesia or China.

5. mhenriday
    Boffin

Do remember, Kelly, that Mr Assange appeared voluntarily at a London police station

on 7 December 2010 ; the police didn't really have to exert themselves overly much to «arrest» him. I think you can assume him to be well aware of the fact that the Pirate Bay 4 lost their case, tried as it was before judges who are members of societies sponsored by so-called «rights-holders» organisations (the «right» to hold the rest of us up) and personal friends of the attorneys representing these organisations - perhaps he feels that Per Erik Samuelson did a good job of defending Carl Lundström under these difficult circumstances. The other barrister - to use the English legal terminology - Thomas Olsson, is also well known for his work in righting miscarriages of justice in the Swedish legal system ; experience which will no doubt stand him in good stead when representing Mr Assange in this particular case....

Frankly, given the forces arrayed against him, I don't give Mr Assange a snowball's chance in Hell if he is sent back here, but he seems to be fighting the good fight. More power to him !...

Henri

6. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    FAIL

RE: Do remember, Kelly, that Mr Assange appeared voluntarily at a London police station

.... to avoid being immediatley arrested by the UK Police, which would have made the fast-tracking of his extraditiion to Sweden much more likely. Do not confuse a tactical move to avoid arrest as an act of innocence. A$$nut knew that if he avoided trouble with the UK Police he could then draw out the extradition proceedings almost indefinately. Well, up to the point he's reached now.

".....tried as it was before judges who are members of societies sponsored by so-called «rights-holders» organisations...." Oooh, loosen up the tinfoil hat! Last time I heard, there were much more powerful lobbies in the Swedish political system than Sony and EMI. Your sense of perspective is so out of whack it's downright funny!

".....given the forces arrayed against him...." I would suggest that should be given the scale of the alleged yet damning facts of the case arrayed against him, A$$nut is going down! And please do explain what it is you see as "the good fight", just for our amusement.

A fail of truly farcial proportions.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like