back to article Spaniards prototype ARM-GPU hybrid supercomputer

The Barcelona Supercomputing Center in Spain has been an enthusiastic supporter of using IBM's Power970MP blade servers as a foundation for its "MareNostrum" massively parallel Linux cluster, which fills 44 server racks and delivers 94.1 teraflops of number-crunching punch. A few years back, this was a pretty big box, but these …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

10Mw ? Didn't the spanish just build a massive solar ranch in Arizona? That was 20Mw I believe. Out of general green interest, how many flops does one get when one does some thing like seti with the public's computers ? Could a SC feed in tariff be more viable than a green electric tariff ?

2. Gordan

The number's almost add up

But they are not quite spot on. Tegra2 is a dual-core Cortex A9 chip. It is capable of addressing up to 1GB of RAM. Tegra3 is actually a 5-core CPU based on a 1+4 custom design.

If they are claiming 1TB of main RAM in total, that means 1024 Tegra2 CPUs which is 2048 cores. Assuming 1 GPU per CPU that would mean 1024 GPUs.

The 1024 cores / 256 GPUs / 1TB of RAM combination doesn't quite add up with either Tegra chip.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My name is...

Inigo Montoya

You unplugged my server.

Prepare to die.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Hmmm...

I would have upvoted you for a Captain Alatriste reference

4. Michael Duke

No they are claiming 1TB from the Tegra3 / GPU based rack @ 4GB per Tegra3.

Even that is high though considering the nVidia site says that the Tegra3 only supports 2GB of memory per chip, unless there is a "HPC Version" of Tegra3 that supports more memory.

1. PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn

256 ARM cores with 2GB each = 512 GB http://www.nvidia.com/object/tegra-superchip.html

256 GPUs with 2GB each =512 GB http://wccftech.com/nvidia-announces-geforce-gtx560m-gt520mx-mobility-solutions/

theres the 1TB

not sure if thats the explanation, but it seems a reasonable guess

This topic is closed for new posts.

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021