back to article TV makers ready to test 3D specs' compatibility

Some of the world's biggest telly makers are about to begin to certify pairs of active-shutter 3D glasses that will work with their TVs. Panasonic, Samsung and Sony launched the scheme, called the Full HD 3D Glasses Initiative, to encourage standardisation of 3D specs in August. Some 12 other firms, including Hitachi, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. technohead95

If 3D tv ever takes off

"A bigger snag is that consumers have yet to be persuaded that 3D TV is a good thing, especially in these economically tightened times."

If consumers will ever be persuaded that 3D TV is a good thing! Our eyes are not desired to cope with fake 3D (i.e. stereoscopic 3D). All this 3D TV (including the early colour filtering system at cinemas e.g. Nightmare on Elm Street 3D) is the first time in human history that are eyes have to converge and focus at different points. This is why so many people get headaches from it. At the cinema it is somewhat bearable because it is a short term experience but having it on the TV at home would be too much exposure (even if a good portion of shows are still shown in 2D). Couple this with gaming consoles, tablets and mobile phones that are going 3D too and it's easy to see how people can be exposed of it too much. Add to the fact that 3D TV is also really really bad for children as it greatly hinders their natural eye sight development which doesn't stabilise until they are in their early teens.

There may seem to be a wave of 3D type but most of this is being pushed by TV manufacturers and movie studios. I'm betting that consumer's choice will finally prevail and the 3D phase will pass as quickly as it came.

2. peachy001

I watched Avatar in 3d at a cinema that was state of the art with prices to match. Enjoyed the film, but it seemed blurry to me and I ended up with a right headache. I genuinely shun and poo poo all 3d options where possible. Got a friend who says Samsung do a TV that can make any picture 3d. The argument I had with him was massively heated. He swore by it and said it was great. Chuffing clown. So it may sound snobby, but if fools like him think it is great, and it gives me a headache, then I want no part of it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like