back to article Google launches Google+ Pages for businesses

Google has unveiled some enhancements to Google+ aimed at expanding that people-to-people social networking service to people-to-businesses and people-to-organizations. "So far Google+ has focused on connecting people with other people," Google's engineering headman Vic Gundotra wrote in a blog post on Monday. "But we want to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. This post has been deleted by a moderator

2. Brent Longborough
    FAIL

If I wanted this, I'd have stayed with Facebook

All of a sudden, a surge in the mean stool density in the sewage...

3. Sam Liddicott

no +

lack of + in search terms explains why google search results are awful these days.

What can I use instead of the + symbol to get decent results?

1. Steve the Cynic

Read the article, follow the links...

If you do that, you'll find that +specificword (prevents matching against 'specificwords', 'specificwording', etc. but also prevents it searching for 'flute' **instead** of 'lute') has been replaced by "specificword" (double quotes).

The flute/lute thing is the most stupid thing imaginable. I asked goggle to look for information about Renaissance / Early Modern many-stringed instruments, but goggle decided that I really wanted to find information about wind instruments, and NOT information about what I asked for. WTF? I could almost see it offering both in a single search, but ... 'Did you mean ...?' links are annoying because they take up space on the screen, but once in a while I really did make a trypogaphical error, and it's useful then. Completely discarding what I type, aside from a 'we searched for this other thing instead of what you asked for, but here's a link that will search for what you wanted rather than what we wanted' link is unforgiveable.

Sorry, still need to vent.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I love this bit...

'I Told You So' -

My comment on that previous article about dropping the '+' -

"It is obviously not easier to use quoted string instead of +string and it is inconsistent with the OR and -string operations.

Google knows a lot about language design and they wouldn't do something so obviously wrong unless they had a better (more lucrative) use in mind for +.

My bet is that they will somehow use + in Google queries to link with Google+ entries and try and drive traffic from one to the other, or more likely both ways."

5. Scott Millar
    FAIL

FAIL FAIL FAIL

Did you know Google + does not work with Google Apps? so if you are a local business running google apps and want a +Page you are screwed. FAIL FAIL FAIL

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If I may...

.. edit your post:

Google+. FAIL FAIL FAIL.

2. Patrick O'Reilly

Does so

It does work with Google Apps, I just set one up using a GApps login.

GApps needs to allow experimental features and G+ needs to be turned on in offer management.

6. Patrick O'Reilly

ElReg+

So it's been 5 hours since this story was posted and The Register still doesn't have a G+ page? Tick-tock squatters are on their way.

7. jaduncan

"Did you know Google + does not work with Google Apps? so if you are a local business running google apps and want a +Page you are screwed. FAIL FAIL FAIL"

In fairness, it now does work with apps.

8. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

"build relationships with all the things you care about – from local businesses to global brands"

Great idea. How did they know teh key things I care about are abstract faceless brands, and local businesses, rather than actual friends and family.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022