back to article Brits forced to join waiting list for iPhone 4S

Brits will have to reserve a iPhone 4S if they want to ensure they'll get hold of the slightly souped-up Jesus mobe within the next few days - but chances are they won't make the waiting list anyway. To deal with high demand and limited stock, Apple has introduced a system whereby a punter can hit Cupertino's website, reserve …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Robert Grant

Just give them an iPhone 4

...and see if they can tell the difference.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Or, right, and here's an idea:

Order it via post and wait patiently, getting on with whatever other things amount to your life.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

With a contract? How?

Genuine question as this would suit me.

3. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Happy

I think I'll pass on it...

Like I did the 4,

the 3,

4. Annihilator
    FAIL

Same crap system as before

Think they used that system for the iPad 2. God forbid they just enable some form of digital queue, where you can choose your store, register and be emailed when yours is ready to collect. Pretty sure they did that with the iPhone 4, but seemingly they now prefer to carry on the "it's still sold out! It must be amazing!" vibe.

So now, if you really want one and don't want to wait the current 2-week dispatch time, you have to hover around the website waiting for the magical "unavailable" message to disappear- from iPad 2 memory, it's around a 20 minute window each evening IFF they get any. Being "available" doesn't guarantee either, as you then have to get through the purchase process before someone else does.

Disclaimer: I own a (2nd hand) iPhone 4 and an iPad 2. I like them, I just dislike the theatrics whenever one is released. So much to do at Cartmanland, but you can't come (especially you Stan and Kyle).

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Rather oddly............

.......... the Apple store in Belfast have no products available (at all!) for reservation at 9:02pm this evening (smells a rat)

6. The Brave Sir Robin
    Trollface

Alternatively

Get a Samsung Galaxy S II instead.

1. Rob Beard
      Thumb Up

That's what a friend of mine did, he had a 3GS and he was a bit of a smug Apple user (had a MacBook, would constantly go on about how wonderful it was).

He had a look at my Galaxy S and said it was confusing, I think it was probably just because he just spent 5 minutes playing with it. To be fair I had a play for 5 minutes with his 3GS and his girlfriend's iPhone 4 (before she sold it) and I found them confusing so I think it's a case of what you're used to.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, in the end he couldn't wait so he popped down to T-Mobile and got a Galaxy S II. He said that the guy in the store commented that he was the first iPhone owner to switch to an Android phone (I'm sure there are others who have done the same). He's happy with his new phone and he has another good reason to be smug, and this time I am genuinely envious of him as the Galaxy S II is a lovely looking phone.

On the other hand, a friend who has just bought an iPhone 4 had problems registering his phone.

Rob

7. Matt 53

If you're considering O2...

... just walk into an O2 store and ask. My nearest 2 had plenty of stock - no queues. More options than the web based stock checker suggested. But I conceed that buying an unlocked 4s outright may be more of an issue.

8. mrfill
    Facepalm

Meanwhile in Court 2...

I suppose that means Apple now has the patent for fucking up orders.

Bring on the lawyers

9. Michael 36
    Thumb Up

Move along, nothing to see here

Its all normal.

Apple announces some iThingy. Press goes wild with speculation over what iThingy will do. When i Thingy is launched its doesn't do half their imaginings. Press reports iThingy as costly, disappointing, not as good as competing products. The following week the same press reports demand exceeding supply.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmm.

Is it really beyond them to get their supply chain right? After all, it's not like this is the first time it's happened. Anybody would think they were doing it on purpose...

11. Nameless Faceless Computer User
    Stop

Here's an idea

Why not wait until next year after they work the bugs out of them?

12. Mips
    Childcatcher

Gobsmacked

Been negotiating an upgrade for some time. Come back to O2 on Monday, get a really exceptional offer to move to iphone, agree terms by 1pm.

Tuesday 10am phones arrive, all up an running by 1pm.

24hours! I am stunned, this is not the way O2 do business.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like