back to article When Ellison goes, will he go gracefully?

Graceful CEO exits are rare: the driven man with his hands on the corporate steering wheel finds it hard to sit in a rear seat and let someone else drive. More often they want to be the satnav. As far as they're concerned, it's their way or an abrupt turn onto the highway. How will Larry Ellison leave Oracle? Will he do a Dan …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Ellison..."graceful"?

You can't be serious...can you? That dirtbag doesn't do ANYTHING gracefully.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

There I go again...insulting dirtbags. My sincerest apologies.

Please amend the comment to read "douchebag".

1. Anonymous Coward
        Devil

Hey, AudiGuy!!!

As Supreme Bag in our local douchebag society, I insist that you stop defaming our membership through a specious association with Larry Ellison!!!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Coat

Not again! Offended douchebags now? So very sorry.

Can I take a stab at calling him a scumbag then? Or have I just offended all of the Pond Scum out there?

Hope not...but please do let me know if I have, & I will try and find some other appropriate derrisive epithet to describe him. Just has to be something.

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge
      Devil

He may not do it gracefully, but he does it successfully

While the classic "Larry speech to Yale" is known to be an urban legend it is none the less an excellent definition of Larry:

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/ellison.asp

He may not do things gracefully, but he does them successfully. You may hate him, you may loathe him, but you have to give him a credit where credit is due.

2. Craig "Spuddleziz" Smith
    WTF?

Oracle buy HP???

Surely that can't happen! Christ, i'll eat my legs if it does!

1. Paul 129
      Devil

It would be a hell of a parting gesture.

Brilliant on so many levels.

2. Stoneshop

Why not?

Oracle could, for a moment ignoring the measures HP is said to be taking against a takeover; whether Oracle wants to, I don't know.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

and there was me thinking

that his success is due to the relentless gouging of his customers while gulling enough new ones into buying his exorbitantly priced baubleware

1. David Dawson

I think you might find

That the 2 points of view are the same thing at heart.

2. Allison Park
      Angel

He won't go out liike Steve Jobs

People will not be comparing him to Ford, Edison, Einstein,....

The media will mention it but not spend all day interviewing people about his impact.

He should listen to Steve Jobs's 2005 Stanford address and go do something meaningful with his life.

Sad to see Steve go.

4. Turtle_Fan

As far as Ellison is concerned...

Any exit is a good exit.

5. Zippy the Pinhead

hopefully when he goes

Oracle will implode!

6. ElReg!comments!Pierre
    Happy

You think too small

I don't think Ellison plans on stopping with HP. He won't stop before Oracle is the only IT company on the planet. Then he will beat up Chuck Norris and proclam himself sun-god of the universe. Or something.

I wonder how much it costs to build one of these pyramid things nowadays...

7. Jim O'Reilly
    Pint

Was Ellison right?

HP losing Mark Hurd was a classic foot-shot. The rationale for getting rid of him smacks of politics forcing any dirt, whether real or not, to the surface. In other words, they cased him up! And, in the end, took him out by claiming he'd put in expenses for his girlfriend, which ranges somewhere between a misdemeanor and trivia, and might well have been an oversight.

Ellison's game plan is easy to read, and has been in place for years. He will have the dominant database running on Oracle-devised and optimized hardware. He intends to own the full database solution with 80+% market share. Well, he's succeeding, with a massive cost performance improvement setting a new bar, and in doing so may have pulled off an "Apple" story!

HP faces commodity hardware as a cloud competitor, the death of Itanium, and the loss of database revenue. Oracle, on the other hand, has a rich and growing niche. The HP board did Mark a signal favor!

8. Jean-Luc
    Flame

Let's be fair to the dirtbag

I don't like Larry much. Got laid off after an Oracle ERP acquisition, so no reason to like him.

And I also think that Oracle gouges customers. And Larry is paid way too much. And he's a pr!ck.

But... making a company work and being able to extract premium prices from its victims, errr.... customers, is precisely what a competitive company's CEO is paid to do.

Ellison has successfully parlayed the db cashcow dollars into a much wider stack of software and make money along the way. He founded the company as well, not just a high priced caretaker he.

So, give the dirtbag due credit - many other CEOs collect nearly as much money, while running their company way, way less well.

This article is spot on that a large measure of his legacy will be an successful succession.

9. Richard Taylor 2
    Terminator

Well

"In the wider IT world Ellison is admired with awe but he is also resented. There is little respect shown by Ellison to his peers. He does not appear to actually see IBM's Sam Palmisano, HP's Meg Whitman, Microsoft's Ballmer or Salesforce.com's Marc Benioff as his peers. The only CEO he seems to shows respect to is Steve Jobs.~

Could we all suggest that actually Steve Jobs is the only recent CEO of comarable talent (we'llleave ex HP and IBM CEOs out of this mess)

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Larry is not going ... ever !

Clause 1 of the deal with Cthulu was immortality in the flesh.

11. Eduard Coli
    Trollface

Samurai Larry

If he was to leave I'm am sure he would commit seppuku.

12. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Ellison should show Mark Benioff respect.

Since Salesforce.com has basically kicked Oracle's butt in the CRM business, despite Oracle's purchase of Siebel.

13. Your Error Message Here Silver badge
    Meh

Unlike Gates

Ellison & Jobs never developed any interest in bettering humanity. So while Gates & his wife have a philanthropic foundation to run, once Ellison & Jobs leave their respective evil empires, they'll quickly die due to boredom.

14. FrankAlphaXII

Larry's enough of an asshat to spend a couple billion to buy out HP, just to get even. But I dont see how buying HP would benefit Oracle. Sun was a no brainer really, they had custom architectures down to a T with Sparc, as well as a very specialized OS with Solaris, not to mention the Java IP, but HP doesnt have a shred of anything that sets them apart from a company like Dell or Acer since they spun off their instrumentation company. The only area I can think of where they have something slightly special, Enterprise level, they face a very large amount of competition from IBM.

For the most part HP makes commodity x86 and IA-64 products that run Linux or Windows, and given Oracle's dim view of the Home and SMB market, I think Oracle would rather see HP fail than buy them out.

15. arrbee

I'd rephrase it slightly...

he sees a way to sell an interpretation of reality that is black and white to customers who want to be sold stuff in simple black and white terms so that they can be decisive and not get bogged down by inconvenient details, and who then leave it to their internal IT folk to translate the black and white back into the real world of a million colours

16. zen1
    Pint

I dunno

I don't have quite the glowing admiration that the author of this article apparently has. But when I think about how Ellison will leave Oracle, I'm almost certain it's going to happen in one of two ways:

1) He is hauled out of Oracle's HQ in a body bag.

2) He leaves in a rather spectacular, if not explosive way, that will be the talk of the IT industry for years.

My money's on the latter. Mainly because if Larry's delicate sensibilities and massive ego are offended in any way, shape or form, his head will probably explode. My guess is if he's put into a situation where it would be better for Oracle for him to quietly step down or it would result it in being torn to shreds, he'd allow the company to be ripped apart just to spite the entities questioning his authority or, well, sanity.

While I certainly hope it's a good long time before he takes his last breath, I can't wait to see him melt down in an epic way.

17. RightPaddock

Oracle Buys HP - Really

Ellison is a good sailor - so he knows full well that HP would be nothing but a boat anchor.

What he might do is to convince a private equity outfit to buy HP. And then pick out the bits he wants EDS is all I can think of, but I've lost sight of HP in recent times maybe there's some cloudy stuff he could use.

The only other reason I can think of that might see Larry buy HP, would be to make sure Oracle fails after his departure; as he sails off into the sunset saying "I told you so".

RIP Steven Jobs, although I never liked you much, I have admired your courage in recent times.

18. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Boffin

Respect for other CEOs?

Larry is one of those guys that just can't publicly admit he's ever been beaten at anything, which is why he can't show respect to any CEO other than Jobs. It's no coincidence that Apple does not compete with Oracle in any market, so therefore there is no skin off Larry's nose in admiring Jobs' success. But to show respect for someone like Benioff would be to admit that there is someone doing something better than Larry, and his ego simply can't stomach that.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

REMEMBER I TOLD YOU

Ellison will never be ready

20. Joe 51

Joe Satriani

Why is there no mention of Safra Catz when talking about Ellison's successor?

21. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Ellison is an a*seh*le

Anybody who has such a lack of respect, such a big mouth, and who is happy to slaughter open source free software by any means necessary is not worthy of respect.

I've never resented or disliked a person so much.

The IT industry as a whole is better without him, he may benefit Oracle greatly, but at a cost to the industry and its innovation and scale.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like