back to article Father of Java abandons Google for floating robot cloud

Father of Java James Gosling has quit Google and turned his back on tier-one tech companies altogether by joining a California start-up which makes unmanned ocean-going robots. Gosling is becoming chief software architect for Liquid Robotics, whose Wave Gliders cruise hundreds of miles offshore scooping up oceanic data – and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I can't help wonder...

If "working for Google" may sound nice at first yet when you get there it turns out to be totally different (and not as much fun) as expected.

Reason for my wondering is that you hear quite a lot of these stories; take the last time some MS hotshots decided to replace MS for Google.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

From set-top boxes to floating boxes

Methinks that his heart always was in embedded stuff.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Oh, my aching metaphor...

Let's see if I have this right:

Gosling is going to work on streamlining the information superhighway that comes from cloud computers mobilised by waves and powered by light. Surely they will monitor whalesong.

This has Jon Anderson (Yes) written all over it.

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

AlienSpeak, Common Sense, Kemo Sabe

Methinks it has more Pink Floyd and David Bowie and Moby writ large with a healthy stealthy Ziggy Zagging Spider element to IT, vibing with everything surreal and virtually connected, AC.

And yes, that tale was just metaphorical and Google's problem is that they do not have the necessary in-house intelligence to better and beta use information with intelligence and cyber know-how with CyberIntelAIgents, which is why all the brightest of sparks in their Searching Industrial Complexes leave for greener pastures, for gathering info with IT is easy and not an engaging and sustaining challenge at all.

4. Francis Boyle Silver badge

"unmanned ocean-going robots"

Wouldn't a "manned" robot be a sexbot?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like