back to article Grassroots Brit project plans .app top-level domain bid

A British-based community project has emerged with the aim of applying to run ".app" as a new top-level internet domain. But the budding organisation, which currently has about 75 paid-up members, faces a funding challenge if it wants to win what is expected to be a highly competitive bidding process. The project, at …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. jubtastic1
    Stop

Call me a grumpy old man...

But no good will come of these newfangled TLD's, .app, .doc, .jpg, .etc

I can see misery looming ahead for the easily fooled masses and excited hand rubbing from the malware industry.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Can you imagine the trouble

that could be caused by registering ".exe"?!

2. XMAN

ughhh

So now every large company is going to have to consider making defensive registrations of TLDs. What a load of non-sense.

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Yes...

...I'll hand my cash over,after all keep falling over all the sacks of it in my house.

Lets see who will win bidding war.

Apple, Amazon, Microsoft or a bloke down the road that thought of it in a pub?

1. John Robson Silver badge

Hopefully

Amazon, Apple, Google and Mickysoft will realise that preventing their competition from owning the domain is the best solution, and so will support the community version - of course, each would want a member on the board as well...

1. thesykes

I admire your optimism!

Misplaced though it is... hoping that the CEO's of these money-grabbing, self-centered, arrogant companies would use some common sense and let the little guy win....no, much rather spend a small fortune to own the tld, then charge everone else a small fortune to register a domain to protect their image rights.

4. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge
    FAIL

Who needs ICANN?

Apple can simply change the network stack in iPhone so .app routes their app store, Google do the same for Android and in the unlikely event of Microsoft ever selling a WP7 phone they will change it so that it redirects to "live.microsoft-we-don't-quite-understand-the-itern.net"

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So, should I register

Should I register .deb, .rpm, .msi?

Or worse yet, .exe? Imagine the trouble that could cause?

What about .gif, .jpg, .avi, .flv?

ICAAAN, why did you open this can of worms?

6. Martin Owens

.git .bzr

Would be nice to have TLD for repositories.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

trouble a t'net

How about .appN for Yorkshire folk ?

8. Steven Roper
    Stop

All those saying TLDs such as .exe, .gif, .jpg, .msi etc would cause problems

You people obviously don't understand how the domain name system works. A TLD never points to a file, by definition it's a directory. If you could fool a computer into executing something with a TLD like http://malware.exe, don't you think it would already have happened with http://malware.com? Think about it - what do .com files do on a computer? Remember those? Does COMMAND.COM ring any bells?

Escalation of execution privileges as a result of TLD spoofing is a non-concern. I'm not saying this free-for-all on TLDs is a good thing, but the "somebody could register ".exe" and confuse your computer" argument doesn't hold any water, because it would have already been done with .com if it could be done - and as a security issue would thus have already been addressed.

9. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

@steven roper

So you can guarantee that there is no web-browser, filemanager, email client or simply crappily written internal app - on any platform - that doesn't look at a URL string and guess what mime-type to use based on the extension?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like