back to article HTC to follow LG with 3D smartphone

HTC has followed LG's lead by fitting its latest smartphone with a glasses-free 3D display. The HTC Evo 3D runs Android 2.3 Gingerbread with the latest HTC Sense UI sitting on top, all on a 1.2GHz dual-core Qualcomm Snapdragon processor. It features a dimension-boosting 4.3in, 540 x 960 - aka "qHD" - display, as well as twin …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. cs94njw
    Alert

Battery?

And how does this affect the battery?

When I look to replace my Android next year, I'll be looking for two things: NFC support, battery life.

Oh, and an alternative to the 32MB of Adobe crap that's required on my device.

1. DrXym

It probably doesn't

Parallax barrier displays are currently passive - something sits in front of the pixels and masks odd pixels from one eye and even pixels from the other.

Biggest issue is it cuts the horizontal resolution in half and requires the user be exactly positioned to see the effect. I assume in phones that it wouldn't even enable the barrier except when you're taking a 3D picture or something so even if it consumed a small amount of power when enabled it wouldn't be used that often.

I'd be more worried about the stupid premium the phone would command for having 2 cameras on the back and a gimmick 3D effect.

2. jestersbro
    FAIL

Silly

I can't see this as being anything other than a gimick on such a small screen. Long term, no future for 3d smartphones in their current design.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Priorities

HTC would be better off improving their dodgy touchscreen accuracy (on the HD7 I had anyway) and terrible screen performance in sunlight than messing with 3D.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like