back to article Sky combines, revamps internet telly services

Are you a Sky subscriber? If so, you'll be able to watch Sky programming on your computer, tablet or phone for free. Dubbed Sky Go, the service launches on 6 July and combines Sky Player and Sky Mobile TV. The catch: each home can only register two devices. Presumably, if you want to register more, you can cough up the £15-40 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Andrew 66

So...

...does this mean that my flatmate, who is determined she wants Sky Sports, can have Sky Sports, whilst the rest of us can go on with our daily lives safe in the knowledge that only she is giving money to Mr. Evil (nee Murdoch)...?

2. Code Monkey
    Devil

Very interesting, but...

That little glimpse of the future makes Sky suddenly look a lot more interesting. Not interesting enough to change my mind on "Murdoch is an evil, evil bast and won't be getting any of my money".

3. Stephen Hunt
    Meh

Robust

Hopefully this service will be a bit more robust than their last offering, and they have sorted out the confusion the client used to encounter causing it to forget already-registered devices.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

lost my coat

They're going to have to rename themselves 'Ground'

5. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

How long...

...until someone gets around the device limit? Free Sky TV for all?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

cheap?

some people make me laugh,,,,

"evil Murdoch" oh for heavens sake..... just admit that you are too cheep to cough up for a sky subscription..... even if you are a virgin media subscriber, some of your cash will go to Murdoch, Freesat? ITV has its fingers in this..... Murdoch again....

Why is it that when one person or company becomes the leader in there market then they become "evil"

1. Scott 2
      Thumb Down

re: cheap

Because when one person or company gain control of something that has no real competition, they can charge ridiculous money with no real fear of losing custom.

No matter how you look at it, Sky is impossibly expensive. They charge a serious amount of cash, PLUS they get advertising revenue, and the only thing they provide of any real use is Sky Sports and Movies (if you like movies). And you have to pay a minimum of £50 to watch Sky Sports in HD. (£20 minimum for just getting their TV, £10 for HD and the rest to get Sky Sports).

I think that is an outrageous cost, but what can you do? I don't have the option to go anywhere else, and I can't get Sports without paying the Sky Tax of £30 p/m.

2. nyelvmark
      Unhappy

Why?

>>Why is it that when one person or company becomes the leader in there market then they become "evil"

We all wish we knew. Even Bashar al-Assad was probably a cute kid once.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

In the early days

Sky used to trample the competition by not allowing sat shops to sell competing kit. Yes, true Satellite tv is NOT Sky. Being part of the EU you would expect to be able to view channels from the EU and even subscribe to them. But no. Murdoch moved heaven and earth to make the UK believe that SKY=Satellite TV. He even got the government to help him achieve his goals of obtaining a monopoly. So now he is free to crank up the price EVERY YEAR with no fear of people going elsewhere. Only a lemming would deal with this outfit. English people have no memory.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Stop

hmmm

"So now he is free to crank up the price EVERY YEAR with no fear of people going elsewhere"

sky goes up in price by approx £1 every year...... not like petrol? not a big deal...

The biggest price hike in satellite tv was when ofcom in all their wisdom forced the change in the way premier league football is sold to the broadcasters preventing them from owning the exclusive rights. I used to get a "season ticket" for the PPV football which cost me £50 for 50 games. ofcom came along and that was the end of my season ticket, it then would cost me £10 per month for satanta instead !!

these days my TV viewing is mostly just the Free to air channels and the discovery channels, but I still pay sky £30 per month for the sky plus function and HD channels. I know there are other options available like freesat etc, but for me, sky TV just works and I consider the £30 a month value for money., ffs its only a £1 a day... (how much do you spend on fags and booze?)

oh, and a bit of advice for anyone that i out of contract with sky. call them and tell them your leaving.... let them talk you into staying, its amazing what discounts you get.

7. Simon Westerby 1
    Happy

Well that saves me a tenner a month...

No doubt the gov. can think of a way of conning it out me some other way..

8. Stup1dW0man
    Pint

....Device Limit

....how is the device identified by Sky? If it's a MAC then I guess SkySpoofing Apps will be turned over fairly soon....

This topic is closed for new posts.