back to article PlayStation Network breach will cost Sony $171m

The cost of a criminal intrusion that exposed sensitive data for more than 100 million Sony customers and resulted in a 23-day closure of the PlayStation Network will cost the company at least $171 million, executives said. The estimated cost doesn't included expenses related to any lawsuits that may be filed in response to the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Cyber-Attack/Cyber-Criminal

Both terms should be banned!

Instead, as the Police refer to car theives as Twockers (Taking Without Owners Consent) we should call 'Cyber-Criminals' TWATs (Taking Without Authorisation using Technology) and a 'cyber-attack' should become known as Twatting!

There may be better alternatives, but I like this one!

2. Arnie
    Thumb Up

Good

Fanbois flame on!

3. Cormu
    Welcome

boo hoo

lol cant say they didn't deserve it in some respect

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"The figures [...] beats initial estimates of costs"

Hmm, $171 million is a lot of dough.

I wonder how much it would have cost to design the thing securely in the first place ?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

$171 Million..

Maybe George Hotz could chuck them a few more quid if they're strapped for cash.

6. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    Pint

Is that all?

I'm sure they can afford it, sounds like a drop in the ocean to a mega-corp like Sony.

I'm not having a go, it's just doesn't sound like very much for large arm of a company that was out for over 3 weeks.

1. Liam Johnson

@The Fuzzy Wotnot

No so good for a company which is already making a loss of $3 Billion.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Credit card was reissued

My Chase credit card was cancel and a new account was issued to me. They said it was due to their belief that the number was compromised. When pressed, they merely stated that they receive this information from a variety of sources. My best guess is it was due to this compromise.

8. JaitcH
    FAIL

Do I feel sorry? No! If Sony had expended as much energy on

security and updating server software as they did whilst harassing George Holtz it would not of happened.

Poetic justice: what a hit on the bottom line! Hooray!

9. joe.user
    FAIL

So the lesson here is not to be a lazy bastard and patch your systems?

Also, this argument of having internet access to be able to use our hardware is stupid.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

i hope sony goes bankrupt

Ever since they infected my pc with a rootkit I've been wishing for something like this. 3bn$ losses this year? i hope there will be many more to come. I hope it goes bankrupt.

11. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

and now add the 3.61 issue...

Many older console owners (the console not the age of the player) are experiencing over heating shutdown when playing LA Noir and patched 3.61; console was fine before, not so fine after...

The issue was reported to Rockstar whom initially stated it was a 3.61 issue. Not long after this it was removed and a joint statement released stating in effect, "nothing to see here, jog on..."

Sony support process in NZ is - log call via web; routed to Oz; call closed and advised to call NZ phone number...

No response from Rockstar...

Anonymous 'coz Sony sue...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like