back to article Tron: Legacy 3D Blu-ray disc set

The arrival of Tron: Legacy on 3D Blu-ray this week will comes as a blessed relief if you’ve been struggling to find content to play on your new 3D hardware. A year after the launch of 3D Blu-ray, there’s still little more than a trickle of 3D animation aimed at younger film fans available. Finally, here’s a movie you might …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jason Hall

underwhelmed

Yes, obviously the story is shite, the acting almost as bad, but it was still a good way to enjoy a couple of hours.

I saw this in an IMAX cinema and actually felt completely underwhelmed by the 3d. I only noticed it in a couple of places, and once the inevitable headaches started I removed my glasses and could still manage to watch for 5 minutes at a time without anything going blurry.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

IMAX

I saw this at an IMAX and thought the £D was brilliant, as stated, very little jumpy out stuff, just more depth, which is how it should be.

BTW many people that saw they can't cope with the 3D may need to have their eyes checked out. You often have one eye stronger than the other which can bugger up the 3D effect.

2. jai

yes, but that's good isn't it?

i thought it was a refreshing change to see a film that used the 3D when it was required and useful, not using every minute to try and find a reason to throw objects at the camera. I'd say because of it's lack of overuse, it's probably the 3D film I've enjoyed the most so far.

3. Jason Hall

Not over the top

You're probably both right. Maybe the fact that I wasn't being smacked around the face with the 3d was what made it work? Well - made it much less intrusive anyway?

2. Citizen Kaned

looking forward to this

i know its not going to be a great movie, but it will be fun and amazing eye candy, to be enjoyed with some magic cigarettes.

the first film had a lasting impression on so many people my age (36)

3. Citizen Kaned

btw

£13 delivered from play.com on blu-ray

1. Jedit Silver badge
      FAIL

That'll be the 2D

3D version is £18 - I already looked.

4. Dirk Vandenheuvel
    FAIL

Mates

>Finally, here’s a movie you might actually want to watch with your mates

Just don't forget to buy glasses for all 5 of them. Lol 3D.

5. Snark
    Thumb Up

The film that made me give in and get blu-ray

It is a very beautiful film, and I loved the fan-boi moments which are subtle and don't get rubbed in your face. It is an awesome blend of visuals and sound (the story is ignorable as it works so well as a package).

Whilst it didn't tempt me to go for 3D... seeing this movie in the Cinema at Christmas did persuade me to finally upgrade and go Blu-Ray surround sound. I apologise in advance to my neighbours for tonight.

6. Lottie

No blu ray

so I'll just get the DVD.

I'm still quite surprised that companies are offering digital copies with their discs. I'm sure the DRM will be cracked soon enough.

Anyway, re: the original Tron, did anyone else ever consider hooking a webcam up in place of a laser and trying to bait their PC into digitizing them? No?

Never mind.

1. defiler
      Thumb Up

DRM cracked?

Yeah - took as long as normal for AnyDVD to skip over the BD protection, and MakeMKV to copy off the tracks I wanted. Can't be bothered with those silly plastic discs in the living room...

The 4 options seem to be:

DVD alone

BD (2D) + DVD

BD (3D) + BD (2D) + "digital" nonsense

BD (2D) + BD of Tron

I would have liked BD (3D) + BD (2D) + DVD, or better the 2x BDs + BD of Tron 1.

Still, big thumbs-up for the hot-chick dispenser room. Trying to get the wife to let me install one!

1. Jedit Silver badge
        Megaphone

US collector's edition is what you seek

It contains 3DBD, BD, BD of Tron, and a DVD extras disc. May be hard to find now, but the US also has a separate BD release of Tron and it's very high quality. And like all Disney BDs so far, it's not region locked.

7. Atonnis
    Stop

No...

>Finally, here’s a movie you might actually want to watch with your mates

As long as your mates like poor story and mediocre acting...

1. Andrew the Invertebrate
      Happy

you forgot

and Olivia Wilde in a rubber suit

2. Sly
      FAIL

like plot really matters with the guys

You could watch <insert large budget action flick title with almost zero plot> and the guys would love it. Seriously, movie critics need not apply for entertainment value assessments.

8. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Jedit Silver badge
      FAIL

Yes it does

The first movie ends with Flynn exposing Dillinger and becoming CEO of Encom. The second movie exposites that afterwards, Flynn returned to experimenting with the Grid and eventually got stuck in there when Sam was 8 or so. There is no unexplained story gap.

1. DPWDC

I bow down!

I totally cleared the CGI Bridges from my brain! I accept my mistake!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

One thing.....

He's right, the audio track is stunning.....

10. Arctic fox
    Grenade

Hello! What part of the expression "total crap" is difficult to understand?

The film was third rate garbage. I had more "fun" watching the latest Transformers film than this steaming pile of guano. I cannot believe that some of the postings here are actually friendly towards this ******* and as for 80% - I beg your pardon?

11. whats the point of kenny lynch?
    WTF?

personally...

i cannot wait for 'the passion of the christ' in 3d - i can almost smell the blood now....

12. J. Cook Silver badge
    Coat

Not total crap...

OK, so the movie's plot was... pretty much a carbon copy of the first movie, with a few names and details changed around. What it was, however, was a typical Disney movie: simple plot, simple theme, very shiny and pretty.

The soundtrack was worth the price of admission, as was the near digital effects (and Hello uncanny Valley with the age-regressed Bridges!)

Mine's the one with the Daft Punk albums in the pockets

13. Renato
    Thumb Up

The interface

For the geeks here, how the interface and some graphics were done: http://jtnimoy.net/workviewer.php?q=178

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wouldn't inflict this rubbish on my mates.

It was absolutely bloody awful at the cinema and could only be worse on the smaller screen.

Also, I'm not stupid enough to have bought into this whole 3D bollocks for my home entertainment system.

15. cloudberry
    Thumb Down

a great review

Here's a very entertaining review of the film -- and one I completely agree with, having seen the film:

http://www.salon.com/entertainment/movies/andrew_ohehir/2010/12/15/tron_legacy

1. Arctic fox
      Happy

@cloudberry: Great link. It really cheered me up after.......

.......having watched that steaming pile. In fact I laughed out loud at several points - very enjoyable to read something genuinely witty rather than merely sarky.

1. cloudberry

@Arctic fox

Glad you liked it!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like