back to article Serial hacker admits breaching Federal Reserve computers

A Malaysian national has admitted hacking a computer network operated by the US Federal Reserve Bank and possessing stolen payment card data. Lin Mun Poo, 32, entered a guilty plea on Wednesday in US District Court in Brooklyn. In November, prosecutors brought a four-count indictment against him that charged him with fraud, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Federal agents recovered a “heavily encrypted laptop computer” that included account data...

either it wasn't that heavily encrypted, or he handed over the decryption keys when asked in which case there wasn't much point in encrypting it in the first place just to hand over the keys when asked politely...

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Title

or they recovered the laptop while it was still running / has just been switched off and were trained enough to recover the keys from the RAM (or frozen it quickly for recovery at the lab).

1. JarekG
        Joke

RE: "switched off and were trained enough"

This was not some sort of movie. So ya I'll go for the yellow sticky option with note on top "Hard Drive Encryption Key"

2. Tom 35

Or

The key was on a pice of tape stuck to the back of his drivers licence.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Pirate

Or...

Rubber hose decryption was used.

4. Henry VIII
      Joke

re: encrypted laptop

I guess the guy just behaved like a responsible citizen:

If you are lugging around a laptop with sensitive personal information about a lot of people, you encrypt it heavily. You would'nt want the laptop to be stolen, and the information freely accessible on the street, now would you? Of course, when a legitimate request is made by a law-enforcement agency, you comply with them.

Seems like some government people could learn from this attitude.

2. TeaLeaf
    Coat

Let me state the obvious....

I guess Poo is in deep s..t now!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

lock the bas***d up for life !!

what about the thousands of people who's card data was sold and had losses from bank accounts...

LOCK HIM UP FOR LIFE !!!

1. Fatman
      FAIL

RE: lock the bas***d up for life !!

WHY????

So this SOB can get his 3 squares and cot at our expense.

NO, NO, NO, the best solution is `summary execution`. He will never re-offend again.

Let him decode the serial insertion of hollow points into his head.

4. Pete 8
    Alien

Well

His name is Poo then.

Such a shame he didnt use his access to improve the global financial situation, now that it is all just fake 1s & 0s. Like an Openleaks ATM. There is no J or W in Openleaks.

1. Diane Miller

Absolutely right!

We should only be using REAL 1s & 0s. These cost-cutting measures have gone much too far!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

10 years is too little

20 years in prison would be a deterrent.

6. Tom Kelsall
    IT Angle

What? Title?

What's the difference between "encrypted" and "heavily encrypted"? Just trying to understand Merkin Goon-Speak.

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Happy

@Tom Kelsall

"What's the difference between "encrypted" and "heavily encrypted"? Just trying to understand Merkin Goon-Speak."

Probably the difference between pron and *dangerous* pron.

2. Naughtyhorse
      Joke

let me explain...

encrypted:

'oh no it's encrypted... this will take about 5 minutes longer'

heavily encrypted:

<tech takes huge toke on spliff> 'pffffft oh no dude... it's encrypted... heavy... this will take about 5 minutes longer... someone get me a pizza"

7. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Story a bit poo

Bit disappointed after reading the headline, that this was about some greedy career hacker after financial rewards and not a nice big juicy story about some Lone Gunman's attempt at revealing some illuminati international banking conspiracy.

Real life is just so boring sometimes!

8. This post has been deleted by its author

9. Goldberg
    WTF?

lol

american system. just 10 years for this douche ?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like