back to article Malware baddies crank up Trojan production

Malware authors have stepped up production rates still further in their efforts to overwhelm anti-virus defences with banking Trojans and other crud. During the first three months of 2011 an average of 73,000 new strains of malware have been created every day: 10,000 more than during the same period last year, according to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steve the Cynic

I remember...

A time in the late 90s when the *total* number of known viruses jumped overnight from 22,000 or so to 42,000, because some plonker cranked the handle on one of the virus generation kits 20,000 times, blew the result onto a CD, and sent it to one of the main AV firms.

That's 22,000 *total*, not +22,000 per day, mind you. (Well, except that day, duh.)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

huge increase

Over the last few weeks I have seem a huge increase in trojans / rootkits. Most have managed to turn off paid for and commercial AV solutions.

They seem to be related to banner sites as in all cases they type of sites that these people go to are not your warezy sleezy types, but are just plain run of the mill sites.

Im getting about 3 systems a day that are infected and remoting into at least 2 a day.

Its never been this bad before

1. Anonymous Coward
      Flame

Alrighty then................

If you are seeing this much evil you are obviously doing something VERY wrong.

Security is needed at ALL layers.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge
        Linux

@Alrighty then

True, but....we don't know to whom AC #1 has to deal with:

Situation #1 is he/she is plodding along with a lame security set up and fending off irate users taken by surprise when their Windows box is hosed yet again.

Situation #2 is they are doing all that is humanly possible, but are faced with a combination of witless pointy-haired bosses and complete lusers who manage to pull defeat from the jaws of victory every time by running as admin and acting like an utter moron (or allowing their .kids free reign as admin as well)

Who knows? Should we ask tux?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

banking Trojans and anti-virus defences

> Hackers and their virus-writing allies are increasingly targeting vulnerabilities in Java in their persistent attempts to break into computer systems, the net security giant warns. Attack toolkits, such as The Phoenix, automate Java-based attacks that work against multiple browser platforms.

Like, can I see a fully working demo of these multi platform automated Java-based attacks?

> The latest edition of Symantec's internet threat report can be downloaded here ..

Is it safe to download this PDF ..

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/04/06/malware_trends/

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

@banking Trojans and anti-virus defences

"Is it safe to download this PDF"

You've got to ask yourself one question: 'If I use Adobe software, do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Me, what i do

is respond...When i get the ubiqutous "we need to verify your bank details" i go and fill it in with junk but "real" data....

Of course, i'm clued up and my pc is well hardened against such basic attacks but if i can make them waste their time processing my false details then so much the better. If more people did the same then they (malware writers) would spend so much time trying all the false info it would make it not worthwhile for them to actually key the data in in the hope of finding some victims genuine numbers.

So, for the 30 seconds it takes to do so, i suggest you give it a go.

Mr Cuntybollox

81 Trumpton road

Chigley

Wankset.

United States of England.

Add remaining ficticous account details as needed....

1. The Alpha Klutz

May I suggest

http://www.fakenamegenerator.com/

5. copsewood
    Linux

End of antivirus

No way can any security business intelligently analyse this number of new threats per day. I expect the leading firms have automated difference detectors using numerous virtual machines to check samples out. As to the quality of signatures generated by such means when this malware morphs at that kind of frequency, well that's anyone's guess.

There has to be a better way of protecting systems than being able to detect everything that might be bad. How about having a group of people sign a large and useful enough collection of software known to be good ? Put this signed code into a repository, making it so your operating system can easily install from tens of thousands of such signed applications which meet all likely needs and making it so only relatively expert users find it easy to install anything else ? Now where did I hear about this approach before ?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

China, Thailand and Taiwan leading the world in malware

And those are the countries that widely implement Carrier NAT, and whose residents generally struggle to afford a computer at all.

Carrier NAT means instead of one residence having an IPv4 address, the address is instead shared by over 100 customers. One of them transmits a virus or spam email, how do you know which one it was? You going to log each and every IP datagram?

If the world just pushes forward with Carrier NAT, I can see us looking back to this day, and thinking 50,000 viruses a day being small!

That, and I think Microsoft's attempts in dumbing down the OS rather than improving the security model is a big factor too. I wonder what OS we'd have from them today, if intead of buying QDOS all those years ago, they instead picked up their in-house developed Xenix OS and used that as the basis for the OS for the IBM PC.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

An anti- virus scan in the year 2019

[Please wait while we scan your computer]

[.............. 23,125 minutes remaining]

8. Ole Juul
    Coat

Affordable ...

"A batch of 10,000 bot-infected computers can be yours for as little as $15 via underground forums, Symantec adds."

... cloud computing.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like

• Symantec: More malware operators moving in to exploit Follina
    Meanwhile Microsoft still hasn't patched the fatal flaw

While enterprises are still waiting for Microsoft to issue a fix for the critical "Follina" vulnerability in Windows, yet more malware operators are moving in to exploit it.

Microsoft late last month acknowledged the remote code execution (RCE) vulnerability – tracked as CVE-2022-30190 – but has yet to deliver a patch for it. The company has outlined workarounds that can be used until a fix becomes available.

In the meantime, reports of active exploits of the flaw continue to surface. Analysts with Proofpoint's Threat Insight team earlier this month tweeted about a phishing campaign, possibly aligned with a nation-state targeting US and European Union agencies, which uses Follina. The Proofpoint researchers said the malicious spam messages were sent to fewer than 10 Proofpoint product users.

Continue reading
  • Emotet malware gang re-emerges with Chrome-based credit card heistware
    Crimeware groups are re-inventing themselves

The criminals behind the Emotet botnet – which rose to fame as a banking trojan before evolving into spamming and malware delivery – are now using it to target credit card information stored in the Chrome web browser.

Once the data – including the user's name, the card's numbers and expiration information – is exfiltrated, the malware will send it to command-and-control (C2) servers that are different than the one that the card stealer module uses, according to researchers with cybersecurity vendor Proofpoint's Threat Insight team.

The new card information module is the latest illustration of Emotet's Lazarus-like return. It's been more than a year since Europol and law enforcement from countries including the United States, the UK and Ukraine tore down the Emotet actors' infrastructure in January 2021 and – they hoped – put the malware threat to rest.

Continue reading
  • EnemyBot malware adds enterprise flaws to exploit arsenal
    Fast-evolving botnet targets critical VMware, F5 BIG-IP bugs, we're told

The botnet malware EnemyBot has added exploits to its arsenal, allowing it to infect and spread from enterprise-grade gear.

What's worse, EnemyBot's core source code, minus its exploits, can be found on GitHub, so any miscreant can use the malware to start crafting their own outbreaks of this software nasty.

The group behind EnemyBot is Keksec, a collection of experienced developers, also known as Nero and Freakout, that have been around since 2016 and have launched a number of Linux- and Windows-based bots capable of launching distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks and possibly mining cryptocurrency. Securonix first wrote about EnemyBot in March.

Continue reading
  • Clipminer rakes in $1.7m in crypto hijacking scam
    Crooks divert transactions to own wallets while running mining on the side

A crew using malware that performs cryptomining and clipboard-hacking operations have made off with at least $1.7 million in stolen cryptocurrency.

The malware, dubbed Trojan.Clipminer, leverages the compute power of compromised systems to mine for cryptocurrency as well as identify crypto-wallet addresses in clipboard text and replace it to redirect transactions, according to researchers with Symantec's Threat Intelligence Team.

The first samples of the Windows malware appeared in January 2021 and began to accelerate in their spread the following month, the Symantec researchers wrote in a blog post this week. They also observed that there are several design similarities between Clipminer and KryptoCibule – another cryptomining trojan that, a few months before Clipminer hit the scene, was detected and written about by ESET analysts.

Continue reading
  • International operation takes down Russian RSOCKS botnet
    $200 a day buys you 90,000 victims

A Russian operated botnet known as RSOCKS has been shut down by the US Department of Justice acting with law enforcement partners in Germany, the Netherlands and the UK. It is believed to have compromised millions of computers and other devices around the globe.

The RSOCKS botnet functioned as an IP proxy service, but instead of offering legitimate IP addresses leased from internet service providers, it was providing criminals with access to the IP addresses of devices that had been compromised by malware, according to a statement from the US Attorney’s Office in the Southern District of California.

It seems that RSOCKS initially targeted a variety of Internet of Things (IoT) devices, such as industrial control systems, routers, audio/video streaming devices and various internet connected appliances, before expanding into other endpoints such as Android devices and computer systems.

Continue reading
  • HelloXD ransomware bulked up with better encryption, nastier payload
    Russian-based group doubles the extortion by exfiltrating the corporate data before encrypting it.

Windows and Linux systems are coming under attack by new variants of the HelloXD ransomware that includes stronger encryption, improved obfuscation and an additional payload that enables threat groups to modify compromised systems, exfiltrate files and execute commands.

The new capabilities make the ransomware, first detected in November 2021 - and the developer behind it even more dangerous - according to researchers with Palo Alto Networks' Unit 42 threat intelligence group. Unit 42 said the HelloXD ransomware family is in its initial stages but it's working to track down the author.

"While the ransomware functionality is nothing new, during our research, following the lines, we found out the ransomware is most likely developed by a threat actor named x4k," the researchers wrote in a blog post.

Continue reading
  • Microsoft Defender goes cross-platform for the masses
    Redmond's security brand extended to multiple devices without stomping on other solutions

Microsoft is extending the Defender brand with a version aimed at families and individuals.

"Defender" has been the company's name of choice for its anti-malware platform for years. Microsoft Defender for individuals, available for Microsoft 365 Personal and Family subscribers, is a cross-platform application, encompassing macOS, iOS, and Android devices and extending "the protection already built into Windows Security beyond your PC."

The system comprises a dashboard showing the status of linked devices as well as alerts and suggestions.

Continue reading
  • Symbiote Linux malware spotted – and infections are 'very hard to detect'
    Performing live forensics on hijacked machine may not turn anything up, warn researchers

Intezer security researcher Joakim Kennedy and the BlackBerry Threat Research and Intelligence Team have analyzed an unusual piece of Linux malware they say is unlike most seen before - it isn't a standalone executable file.

Dubbed Symbiote, the badware instead hijacks the environment variable (LD_PRELOAD) the dynamic linker uses to load a shared object library and soon infects every single running process.

The Intezer/BlackBerry team discovered Symbiote in November 2021, and said it appeared to have been written to target financial institutions in Latin America. Analysis of the Symbiote malware and its behavior suggest it may have been developed in Brazil. 

Continue reading
  • Now Windows Follina zero-day exploited to infect PCs with Qbot
    Data-stealing malware also paired with Black Basta ransomware gang

Miscreants are reportedly exploiting the recently disclosed critical Windows Follina zero-day flaw to infect PCs with Qbot, thus aggressively expanding their reach.

The bot's operators are also working with the Black Basta gang to spread ransomware in yet another partnership in the underground world of cyber-crime, it is claimed.

This combination of Follina exploitation and its use to extort organizations makes the malware an even larger threat for enterprises. Qbot started off as a software nasty that raided people's online bank accounts, and evolved to snoop on user keystrokes and steal sensitive information from machines. It can also deliver other malware payloads, such as backdoors and ransomware, onto infected Windows systems, and forms a remote-controllable botnet.

Continue reading
  • Chinese-sponsored gang Gallium upgrades to sneaky PingPull RAT
    Broadens targets from telecoms to finance and government orgs

The Gallium group, believed to be a Chinese state-sponsored team, is going on the warpath with an upgraded remote access trojan (RAT) that threat hunters say is difficult to detect.

The deployment of this "PingPull" RAT comes as the gang is broadening the types of organizations in its sights from telecommunications companies to financial services firms and government entities across Asia, Southeast Asia, Europe and Africa, according to researchers with Palo Alto Networks' Unit 42 threat intelligence group.

The backdoor, once in a compromised system, comes in three variants, each of which can communicate with the command-and-control (C2) system in one of three protocols: ICMP, HTTPS and raw TCP. All three PingPull variants have the same functionality, but each creates a custom string of code that it sends to the C2 server, which will use the unique string to identify the compromised system.

Continue reading

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022