back to article Microsoft Kinect hacked to control the PS3

Microsoft's Kinect motion control tech continues its never-ending mod journey - into the realm of PlayStation 3. Mod magician Shantanu Goel claims to have developed a code which allows a Kinect to be used to control a PS3. With it, he can control the XBM menu, start games and even play them with the motion-detecting Microsoft …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ian Yates

Long view

Any chance MS will take the long view and start allowing publishers to license Kinect for their PS3 games?

It'd be interesting to see that kind of collaboration. They could take the view that having X titles on PS3 using Kinect might draw PS3-only owners to buy an XBox (having already got the Kinect) in order to experience the 3X Kinect titles and exclusives.

Probably not, though.

1. Marvin the Martian
      Paris Hilton

Let us consider this

For 0.0001sec: NO.

Why would Microsoft give away one of the few advantages it has to tempt people into its xbox ecosystem? The pittance it makes per controller? It would make more money licencing exclusive titles into non-exclusivity, but then it would die even faster.

2. TeeCee Gold badge
      Flame

Re: Long view.

MS might, but it's all academic anyway.

Hell would have to freeze over before Sony opened the PS3 enough to allow anyone to directly attach a Kinect and talk to it.

Icon to illustrate current, non-frozen state of Hell.

3. irish donkey
      Happy

GEOHolt's new hacking technique

See's him importing Semaphore code into the PS3 as a method of by passing copy protection and re-enabling Linux.

Law suits fly to the licensers of Semaphore and GeoHolt! because they wouldn't want him to fell left out.

Can we have the discussing that messing with the PS3 kills babies again?

4. 20legend

I seriously doubt it too, but....

.. if they did it would give MS an avenue to extract a few quid from the PS fanboys who would never, ever buy an xbox anyway.

And it'd be piss funny to see MS patent controller-free gaming on their rival's console.

2. David Hicks

It's kinda cool.

It uses a PC to emulate a controller over bluetooth, and stitches the kinect into that. So it should work for lots of things.

What I'd like to see is the direct version, using a hacked ps3!

3. WonkoTheSane

Cue Sony lawsuit in 3...2...1...

See title

4. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Grenade

Watch out Sony Lawyers about...

Given their stunts in recent months I fully excpect DMCA notices to start flying in all directions once their Lawyers have had their monday morning Double Decaf Latte's.

Thumbs up to those who did the port.

Thumbs down to SONY Lawyers

Grenade for the SONY Lawyers for a multitude of reasons.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

China+eBay=BlackBox

Hopfully it wont be long before China can make a blackbox interface for the Kinect2PS3, availiabke on eBay.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Move

Funny how nobody seems to have worked out how to get the Move controllers to work with the X-box.

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Coat

Re: Move

Probably the same reason why, in the world of automotive engine transplants, nobody's ever tried to drop a Nissan Micra engine into a Ferrari.

1. MJI Silver badge

Rather have a Nissan GT-R

Than a Ferrari

Perhaps it was a toy Lamborghini Miura which caused this.

2. MJI Silver badge

Why would they?

Xbox is not so popular for this type of thing.

PS3 is where it is at for controller playing about with.

7. The BigYin

How long before...

...Sony being a law suit for lost "Move" sales or something? Or by-passing security controls or some other clap-trap?

8. Tigra 07
    Coat

Careful Reg...

Sony may sue you for all of our IP and email adresses for reporting this...

9. Vitani

What?

"Pre-alpha"? SERIOUSLY?

10. JeffUK
    Thumb Up

Pre-Alpha is the 'it compiles, ship it' stage.

I.e., it's not even ready for testing because we know it's going to break at some point.

Or, in Microsoft's terminology, 'Release Candidate.'

1. TheWhiteIdea

Re: Pre-Alpha is the 'it compiles, ship it' stage.

I thought the 'it compiles, ship it' stage was just known as Final Release, well.. certainly in some software houses i've come across...

11. pullenuk
    FAIL

See you in court

The way Sony keeps the courts busy, add the Cool factor of Kinect to the Playstation 3 and you end up with all the murder cases going unsolved as Sony nicked all the lawyers........

12. Prag Fest
    Stop

Dont even think about it

Get that shit away from my PS3.

13. JaitcH
    Unhappy

Sony must be very pleased about this development

I hope Shantanu Goel has readied his computers for shipping along with his Paypal account, it will save a loy of time when Sony comes a-knocking.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Headmaster

XBM -

Really?...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like