back to article Microsoft drops Windows desktop virtualization pair

Microsoft is prolonging the life of Windows XP apps with the latest release of its MED-V desktop virtualization software. MED-V is pitched by Microsoft as something to help customers migrate from Windows XP to Windows 7, letting Windows XP apps run in the new operating system environment. Version 2.0 – released Thursday for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Socrates
    Thumb Down

Why

Enough with the regurgitated press releases. While Med-V 2.0 may be a slight improvement over 1.0, it's still built on the Virtual PC hypervisor, so continues to have many of the same limitations as before. For example, you can't use a NAT'ed network for the guest OS unless you have administrative rights on the Win7 *host* system.

Med-V is a wasted effort for enterprises trying to get rid of WinXP, as it simply provides developers with an excuse not to fix their dodgy applications; sysadmins are still have to manage that instance of WinXP, and in a much more complex scenario than before it was virtualised.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

You want to help me migrate, Microsoft?

Simplify deployment. Sysprep takes three times the work, and prepping a system post-image takes twice as long. Heck, I can't even implement joining a domain as part of Sysprep unless I'm willing to let MS give the system a random machine name. At least XP's Sysprep worked.

Add to the fact that I can't standardize the default user profile nearly as easily as I once did, and Windows 7 deployment is way more of a pain, especially if I'm not giving users local administrator access. Microsoft's response has basically been "The way we tell you to do it is the supported way, and should work well enough for anyone".

I like Windows 7. I run it on all of my machines at home. However, enterprise deployment of Windows 7 sucks.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like