back to article Dell junks Adamo ultra-skinny

Last month, the PC press reported big price cuts for the Dell Adamo, an ultra-thin Macbook Air lookalike. With online prices slashed to as low as $799, some publications wondered if Dell was gearing up for a head-to-head fight with Apple. The answer has come soon enough. Nope. Dell had embarked on a fire sale, not a price …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. nichomach

Well, they already...

...have the Vostro V130 for business customers, and its predecessor, the V13 pretty much ate the Adamo's sales.

2. ici.chacal
    Thumb Down

Hmmm...

$799..? It's £999 here in the UK. I didn't realise the exchange rate had taken a turn for the worse lately..!?

3. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

Not one bit surprised

But seriously, I'm surprised if they sold a single one of these at the original pricing. They were like $1500 on up, and were aiming squarely for people that'd buy an Apple. The ads (and info on Dell website) were pure form over function (they wanted to tell how small it was and what colors you could buy it in but not screen size, RAM, CPU speed, etc.) But, they were saddled with Windows instead of a good OS, and didn't have Michael Dell standing around in a turtleneck telling people how insanely great they were. In short, anyone who'd buy a Dell got sticker shock and didn't see any reason to buy it when they had similar machines (that even had specs listed) for like 1/2 the cost, and Apple people bought Apples. To me, it'd be like if Chevy (or what, Opel over there?) decided to come out with a $90,000 luxury car. The Chevy buyers would get sticker shock, and the luxury car buyers would spend the $90K or less to buy one from a luxury car brand instead.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like