back to article World leaders meet to discuss cyberwar rules of engagement

Rules of engagement for the deployment of cyber-weapons need to be developed, an international security conference is due to be told later today. The influential EastWest Institute is due to present proposals for the cyberspace equivalent of the Geneva convention at the Munich Security Conference, which has included a debate …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. James 5
    FAIL

Hmmm...

I thought Mubarak had found the answer. Just switch off the internet.

No Internet = No Cyber War.

But I guess that'd be cheating.

1. Ole Juul

Rules of engagement

"But I guess that'd be cheating."

Yes, they'll probably make a rule to prevent that, or at least dock them points.

2. doperative

Cyberwar rules of engagement

You'll have to excuse me for saying so, but this Geneva convention for Cyberspace is total BS. The vast majority of security incidents such as DDOS and 'Stuxnet worm' are enabled by hijacked Windows desktops computers. Critical systems such SCADA units or hospital systems should of course be locked down on embedded hardware running on a VPN. That they are still running such systems directly connected to the Internet beggars belief.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A title?

More rules for the Americans to ignore!!

4. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Based on real world evidence, the likelihood of state organised control in virtual worlds is ZERO

I would like to posit that very few are intellectually equipped to be anywhere near qualified or effective in being able to thwart a smart cyber attack/assault/incursion/experience/call it what you will, and as for rules of engagement, well ....... good manners and the thought that there might be children reading El Reg prevents me from expressing an adult opinion on that admission of defeat even before any real virtual battles have begun. Indeed, such is the nature of the virtual theatre of operations, that all meaningful engagements are won before they are even suspected and then acknowledged as being of great concern and an attack vector being exploited. There will though be other lesser skirmishes by others into rogue mercenary campaigns of a selfish indulgent nature which can be easily blocked and countered, with prosecution and/or persecution of the perpetrators being a most popular attraction and distraction for news and views/media.

5. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

World leaders meet to discuss cyberwar rules

ps: Are these the same people who let 251,287 documents leak out of the Siprnet network?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_diplomatic_cables_leak

1. Tom 13

Yep, same bunch of twits.

They also seem to believe the DCMA prevents pirating software and that outlawing guns deprives crooks the opportunity to shoot someone.

1. Ubuntu Is a Better Slide Rule
        Grenade

@Tom 13

After reviewing your comments, please let me express my heartfelt hostility to you and your colleagues in that office complex in Langley, Virgina. We don't like you at all.

Please just pull the pin and wait.

6. JaitcH
    Unhappy

Do David Cameron, Angela Merkel, Hillary Clinton & Sergei Lavrov even ...

have a clue of the technicalities involved?

The absence, seemingly, of the Chinese leaves a gaping hole in the conference.

7. Alan Firminger

Remember the Kosovo war

The US Air Force dropped carbon dispersing bombs into high voltage electricity distribution points. Who is pleading that critical infrastructure should be protected ? Not many die.

They also thought the civilian railway network was fair game.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

For once I agree with BritGov

"How strongly should a state respond to an attack when you do not know who did it, where they did it from or what the intention was? etc."

It'd be like fighting real war with just cluster bombs to play with. By all means soup up your defensive capabilities (or at least detection capabilities), but don't delude yourself that you can actually have a proper fight with rules and no colateral damage.

9. BitBotherer
    WTF?

Rules of engagement?

There will be none!

10. Ubuntu Is a Better Slide Rule
    Stop

Education, Education, Education

And not just the M.B.A. blah-blah combined with some Excel beancounting is going to fix the problem.

Engineers are nowadays looked down upon, while the law types are highly respected. A lawyer will not defend your blueprints from being stolen, a capable security engineer does stand a chance. If you Mista MBA, would care to listen.

11. Alan Firminger

Why does no one say the obvious ?

Create and implement secure systems.

12. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Proceeded?

"...a conventional military assault, which is often proceeded by the gathering of troops and tanks."

I think you meant 'PRECEDED'.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like