back to article Zero-day backdoors to be left unplugged on Patch Tuesday

Microsoft plans to release two updates – one critical – as part of the next edition of its Patch Tuesday security bulletin cycle on 11 January. The critical vulnerability affects all supported versions of Windows (including Windows 7 and 2008R2) while the less serious fix is particular to a flaw that's restricted to Windows …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. jake Silver badge

It's been 53 weeks ...

It's been 53 weeks since I last took on a Microsoft related consulting job. My bank balance and my blood pressure are a lot healthier now ...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Why bother?

You don't like Windows or Microsoft, we get it, please change the record.

1. prikkebeen
        Stop

No bothering here

I think he doesn't like to always fix things from Microsoft that are broken. Advice to make things work better is more fun actually anyway.

2. jake Silver badge

Why bother?

Just reporting, for any techie out there who might want to make the jump, that it is, indeed, possible to live MS-free. It even appears to be profitable.

Actually, I'm not 100% MS-free. I have a nearly eleven year old Win2K box that only exists to run ACad2K ... it's what I drew up the plans for the ranch with, and I see no need to ever update it. Naturally, she's air-gapped. I was going to reclaim the hardware for something else on her tenth birthday, but my Wife commuted the sentence with a simple "Let's see how long she can make it!". That's nearly 11 years, original install, no crashes, malware, or other headaches. I never said I don't know how to select the proper hardware to make MS products sing, just that I don't enjoy it.

3. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

@AC 15:03

Seems like it's you who needs to change the record!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Do you think?

That Microsoft might ever upgrade to a 28-day-plus month, like the rest of us live?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Microsoft?

Hmmmmmmmmmmm I could list about 200 significant OS faults off the top of my head - never mind the some 5000 patches released since XP has been bought out.

4. Ken Hagan Gold badge

It's been 2 weeks ...

When the original story came out (23rd Dec) I wondered out loud how long it would take for MS to produce a patch that flipped one bit in the header of a DLL. Turns out to be more than a fortnight.

5. R Callan
    Thumb Up

I really like

how MS Windows is posted as Malware :<)

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

If microsoft sold cars

It really is about time MS (and other software writters) started getting fined for sitting on known deffects and not getting their finger out to fix them.

If a car manufacturer sits on a defect, and doesn't issue a recall notice PDQ, they get fined, serious "hurts the bottom line" money.

MS is making billions of dollars shipping poorly tested code (see recent outlook update for classic example), and it's reponse to serious flaws being reported, would indicate they don't care, probably much more profitable to use their coders time to add silly features to sharepoint 20nnRn, etc.

If software vendors where fined by governments to cover the cost to the local economy their security defects cause, I'm betting we would be getting a sub-24 hr patches.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like