back to article Nike and TomTom display watch with marathon capabilities

Nike and TomTom have come together to create the Nike+ SportWatch GPS, unveiled this week at the 2011 International Consumer Electronics Show (CES). The Nike+ SportWatch GPS is a wrist-mounted portable computer that supplies an athlete with information they may need while on a run. It captures location details and shows time, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's not hideous...

That's the first Nike branded watch I've ever seen that's not hideous...

You have to wonder how many people actually need the ability to look up past data etc *when they're running* - if I just try to use my phone whilst walking I end up walking into lampposts...

They should probably concentrate on data collection on your person and then analysis later - either to a PC, phone or tablet.

2. Andy Farley
    Jobs Halo

Not that I'm a fan of

running or Apple, but my Mrs does most of this with a £1 app on her iPhone.

3. DominicT
    Stop

Not so 'new'

So it's a bit like the Garmin GPS watches that have done pretty much the same thing for... oh, two years, or maybe longer? Is it not worth mentioning them? The article makes it sound like this is some sort of new-fangled technology.

4. BorkedAgain
    Happy

...or...

...there's a decent app available for free on Android; has the additional advantage of playing music from your playlist if you like...

5. Timjl

If you are runnig for any length of time

you probably already have your phone with you so just use an app on that. Runkeeper works on Android and iOS and does everything I need it to.

6. Toby 10
    Thumb Up

It is just a garmin forerunner replacement

Some competition with the Garmin Forerunners is welcome (some of their latest ones are a bit dodgy at times).

As for running with a phone app, it'd be okay for jogging but if you're running and you want to have a look at how far you've gone or how fast you're going you need a watch not something heavy that can't cope with rain, needs buttons pressing and dies after three or four hours GPS use.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

Mobile Phones

Anroid/iPhone/Symbian can do this with free and paid applications.

I found the Nike+ software restricts you to a few features, and you must logon to their website to access a list of previous runs and detailed statistics.

I personally find Runmeter the best, as it has a full output of saved run history, and has quite a lot of features that the others don't.

Runmeter *does* have the odd thing missing, such as running on a treadmill pedometer feature and a countdown timer.

There is a comparison chart on their website, but it has to be said it seems quite balanced. If there's a problem with this link, I would ask Sarah Bee to check it out first to see it's fair :D

Comparison chart:

http://www.abvio.com/running-guide/

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

...or...

there's also a decent free app for Nokia Symbian phones too, which allows music also.

What they need is to include the heart monitor in the watch and then it might look interesting as all the phone alternatives I'm aware of require separate devices to do this.

9. Marc 1

I can't imagine..

..Running with a phone. And that's speaking from experience with a rather small Motorola W755.

I run shorter distances too - 6 miles and under.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

agggh!

Yes, a mobile phone may be able to do this, but some of us like to go jogging without a phone, it gives us a bit of piece and quiet.

This watch has a market, and its not token joggers with their sodding iphones.

1. Arthur Jackson
      Thumb Up

Agggh - but !

Agree somewhat, anyone " jogging" with earphones has missed the pleasure of self reflection But I digress, I have a Garmin Forerunner 310 which is the dogs danglers, I pitched it against Runmeter ( not runkeeper though that is probably as good ) Garmin went tits up after about 18 hours whereas the Iphone running runmeter logged the complete run and had a tad left in reserve.

So, My "Sodding Iphone" sits quietly in my backpack logging my run and emailing the distances / splits/ etc automagically to myself and/or anyone I choose without any intervention. Most of the "Apps " available also have the option to update to Facebook or Twitter etc should you so wish. ( I don't have either of those accounts our my children have)

So, cycle from Dorset to Scotland to visit our Daughter? automatic updates every hour / defined period / to a specified Facebook / Twitter /Email address. ? No problem.

Compete in 10K / Marathon / proper run ? no problem , Iphone is your friend

1. Anonymous Coward
        Thumb Up

Agreed

I would say that the iPhone applicatins that cost a few quid seem to have fewer major bugs, and are more enjoyable to use. On flightmode my iPhone4+Runmeter is a very good combination, whilst catering for other uses of course.

I don't deny that for waterproofness and other features you'll need a very good case, but for the cost of the phone +software vs dedicated professional hardware that has near identical features, this is one situation in which a mobile phone could actually be on par.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

Generalisation

Your ignorant comment is unjustified; I have used various pieces of hardware to track very long cycling as part of a club, running, and rowing.

To my surprise, the iPhone has been the best balance of them all, with the least amount of quirks in RunMeter and RunKeeper. I use RunMeter now, as it has so many features, and is currently cheaper than RunKeeper.

I export the data in various formats, which is invariably useful.

Some people run with headphones, some without. Personally I do both, depending on my mood at the time - but the hardware used does not determine whether someone is a 'token' jogger or serious amateur/professional runner.

The software is what matters, and I wish other logging hardware, including mobile phones, were as robust as the iPhone I use.

I would like a watch to use, especially if it was an mp3 player too, but this one is linked to the Nike+Plus system, and it is really not that good, with very few features. Someone put RunMeter on a similar watch and I'm sold!

11. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

I had my first Garmin Forerunner in October 2005

And they weren't that new then but even so, this looks like a nice unit, I have owned every Forerunner except those launched last year and the 405 is by far the best, if you are one of the very few people who takes the time to read the manual that is. Most of the people who complain to me about issues with theirs (usually minutes before a race) clearly don't really understand the first thing about how they work.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like