back to article Snowstorms knacker Acer sales

Acer shares fell sharply overnight after the Taiwanese giant warned markets that snowstorms in Europe meant it would miss sales targets for the final quarter. The hardware maker was predicting revenue growth of between five and 10 per cent, but said poor weather across much of Europe had hit sales. The company did detail how …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. gautam
    Pint

Goodbye HMV

Thanks for the journey. Serves you right for sticking to outdated and RIAA/MPAA inspired dying distribution model. You became too cosy and comfortable with the captive market for years.

And Thanks to the internet for showing us the way out.

1. Cameron Colley

RIAA/MPAA inspired?

I think you'll find that was the original iTunes store with its DRM -- if you buy a CD from HMV you can convert and copy the music to any devices you see fit (copyright law aside).

Some of us (well, I at least) would rather buy music on a backup medium then rip to the desired format and copy to any desired devices, rather than paying the same money for an MP3 file of variable quality and not having the physical product.

1. gautam
        WTF?

Wrong

Wake up, Cameron Colley, they were happy sell the the rootkitted sony Cds? They were happy to do the BIg Pigopolists bidding gratefully.

And some singles still for above £10 (some @£14.99).

Good riddance in my opinion.

1. Stuart Castle Silver badge

Right.

re "And some singles still for above £10 (some @£14.99)."

Those "singles" are generally called "Albums"...

As for the root kit thing, yes that was bad. Tell me: Do you automatically wish bankruptcy on any company that introduces security problems? If so, you must already have wished bankruptcy on Apple, Microsoft and all the various Linux vendors. All of whom have released software that is found to have at least one security bug.

Given the choice between a medium that allows me to listen to music in any quality I want, and only costs a little more than the average digital download service, which is generally restricted to providing mp3 or mp4s at 128K, 256K or 320K, then I will pay the extra couple of pounds.

2. Tigra 07
    Unhappy

That's not good...

Bad news for HMV, they're the only place i really buy CDs and DVDs anymore

1. Captain Scarlet
      Coffee/keyboard

probably

Probably because every other dedicated music/dvd store has shut up shop in recent years

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I once go thrown out of HMV

I was sitting on the stairs waiting for the wife and kids at the till, the shop assistant said I was a fire hazard, I pointed out I was flammable and had legs. She didn't get the reference.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"I was flammable and had legs."

"She didn't get the reference."

Me neither!

5. Clyde

hmv

One bad month and it has to miss bank payments. And shut some shops. And yet common wisdom is that these super national chains are "better" than independent shops. Hah !

6. Clyde

acer

"said poor weather across much of Europe had hit sales"

Good. Rubbish product and bad after sales. Good riddance. Are they folding up yet ?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like