back to article Cuffed Oz bank Trojan perp aiming to bleach his hat

A South Australian hacker who admits using banking Trojan malware to infect more than 2,300 computers and steal personal information wants to go from poacher to gamekeeper once his legal problems are behind him. Anthony Scott Harrison, 20, also admitted modifying unspecified Trojan software before selling it on to other cyber- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Version 1.0 Silver badge
    Happy

Skill Sets

"the skills set needed to create malign code is quite different to the talents in reverse engineering and code analysis typically required from security researchers"

Well I guess that all that's left is a career in banking then?

2. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

At least Dick Turpin wore a Mask,....... allegedly.

"the skills set needed to create malign code is quite different to the talents in reverse engineering and code analysis typically required from security researchers."

I disagree and would posit that they are far too much alike each other at the creative end of the broadband spectrum to be any different. Indeed it is the malign coder who is trailing security services and their researchers along as they reverse engineer and analyse code for Core Source Driver, which is surely a skillset security researchers require to Identify Accurately and do Battle with Driver. Anything else is Wasted Effort and apparently a Very Lucrative Industry for Zero Guarantee of Future Protection.

3. David Lawrence
    WTF?

Hang him.

Just as everyone tries their best NOT to comply with the demands of kidnappers, we should not reward these people. We should not even give people a glimmer of an idea that there might be a lucrative career path here. We need to make examples of them through severe sentencing that acts as a deterrent.

Hanging's too good for them I say, considering the FUD, misery and misfortune they generate.

4. Elmer Phud
    FAIL

Led astray M'lud

"after developing an obsession with computers that started with playing cyber fantasy games to excess from the age of 14"

Yeah, right.

I'm now living in fear of thousands of teenagers taking up Parkour and knives seeing as they've been at Assassin's Creed for a few years now.

5. FozzyBear
    Pirate

Follow this logic

"after developing an obsession with computers that started with playing cyber fantasy games to excess from the age of 14""

Why haven't we seen more instances of the Texas chainsaw massacres? after a generation of people running through corridors wielding a chainsaw playing good ol' doom

But of course, it is just more BS spin from the solicitor. Unfortunately he will not get what is deserved

6. 6th

Title

Knew what he was doing was wrong and illegal. Nothing different to picking someone's pocket but much worse cause can/do rob them broke with potential to dip in again and again.

He would have known the risks and moral slant of his actions, I have 0 sympathy for this scum. Lock him up already.

& only "developing" "gaming to excess" @ 14? n00b. No wonder he turned to a life of crime :)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like