back to article Giffgaff shudders to a halt

Customers of the "people's network", Giffgaff, found themselves disconnected from the people when the entire network went down for three hours. The network's billing system started throwing up errors just before five on Tuesday, and the entire network - closely followed by the company's website - was down for the next three …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tron Silver badge

How unlike my own dear ISP.

Which has 'latest news' dated 2 December 2008, 'latest service status' dated 14 November 2008, never mentions outages, as if it would be a social faux pas, and appears to throttle everything that streams, right down to YouTube.

I'm not feeling the love, folks.

1. Glenn Charles
      Boffin

"bare all in public"...

Sounds more like a budding model, rather than a budding business...

--Glenn

2. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

reboot = fix?

Are they running it on Windows 95?

3. Heather Taylor

An update on the outage

We've updated our blog with more about the outage which you can see here: http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Blog/Following-up-after-the-outage-on-23rd-November/ba-p/181409

4. Trygve

"turning it off and then turning it back on again"

But had they already tried the 'thump it a couple of times' tactic, or was that next on their list of things to try?

1. Ben Boyle
      Boffin

Thump it a couple of times

Ah, the old "percussive maintenance routine"

5. ElNumbre
    Go

Refreshing...

This is refreshing from a provider that they'll dangle their brass monkeys in the wind when something goes wrong. My ADSL provider does something similar and its nice to be able to see a message saying "we're onto this mufu", even if it takes a while to sort.

Much better than other providers who try (and fail) jedi 'we are not the cause of the fault you are looking for' mind tricks.

6. andy 49

paradox

It's a bit odd to whinge about the lack of information due to wrongly alleged non-availablity of the forum.

My observation would be that there was a surfeit of threads about this throughout the whole time it was happening.

Plenty of the contributors have evidently been users of the service itself for some time, but were making their first appearance in the forums. I don't say this to point at the outage as bringing the unforeseen benefit of making their acquaintance, but merely to suggest it was easy to access the place even for people who hadn't been there before.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

Time Will Tell

While the response from the business (a £10K charity donation, and communication of lessons learned) has been positive; the whole "run by the members" ethos proved itself fatally flawed last night.

As a comment on a previous Giffgaff story noted, their so called help forums are stuffed with smug, barely literate know it alls, and it's really starting to get on my tits.

Evil Steve 'cos they're a bit like Apple fanbois without the classical education.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like