back to article Google releases stable version of Chrome 7

Google pushed version seven of its Chrome browser into the company’s stable channel of releases yesterday, which means features tested in beta and developer builds are now available to the masses. A number of nasty security bugs have been fixed in Chrome 7.0.517.41 for Windows, Mac and Linux machines, including a horrible …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Don't print

Try to avoid printing the internet :P

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

title here

Also avoid downloading the entire net: http://*.*

2. JDX Gold badge
    Thumb Up

Don't bother telling me...

Chrome never tells me a new version is available, I have to remember to check in the help->about dialog. Is there a setting to make it notify me? I actually am surprised they don't auto-update without even telling you.

1. D@v3

im sure mine used to...

at least prompt me when there was a new version/release/build/whatever doesn't any more though

2. Reverend Brown
      Big Brother

why yes

Chrome does in fact auto-update without telling me. If I hadn't read this article on El Reg, I'd probably never have noticed. I might have set it up that way, dunno, don't care.

1. sabroni Silver badge
        Happy

Good call!

letting third parties install stuff on your pc without your knowledge is perfectly sensible. Go you!

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Look for an amber dot...

by the wrench icon. An "Update Chrome..." menu item appears too.

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Version 7 already?

Are you sure they're not confusing build numbers?

It seems there's hardly a week that goes by without yet another major version of Chrome being released, yet very little of Safari or K-Meleon seems to contain Google code.

Surely, it's not just a marketing gTrick to get maximum press coverage?! Not that Google would ever want to control journalists and the press.

1. David Simpson 1
      FAIL

Paranoid Fail

Paranoid much ? If you did a little research (or had a little knowledge) you would know Chrome updates to a new stable release every 6 weeks, with any new product Google releases they slow the releases once they catch up with the competition.

Why would Safari contain Google code ? Both based on WebKit but not on each other.

Fail indeed sir.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Open sauce FAQ

"Why would Safari contain Google code?"

Because Webkit is an open source project, and if Google are really doing such amazing things with it, it stands to reason these improvements will filter back into the project and work their way into Safari and other Webkit browsers.

Except in the real world they don't, of course, no more than Apache got where it is without IBM & Co, or Mozilla Corporation's Firefox got where it is without Google's millions and a well paid CEO rather than hobbyist programmers around the world and a few donations from geeks with jobs...

4. Gary F

Version 7 already?

Why does Google feel it has to catch up with IE and Opera in the version numbers? Going from version x.0 to x+1.0 suggests a major release, but this has never been the case with Chrome. At least with O/S/FF/IE browsers you know that such a big number change will bring a big bag of interesting goodies.

5. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Thank you

It auto updates without telling me (and I like it that way), but it did not this time. Does it have something to do to the fact i'm not admin to this machine? Anyway, I forced the update. Thanks all.

6. Drefsab

meh

Saw this grabbed it then grabbed chrome 8 because of its webgl support. It may not look like much is changing from version to version but there is a lot of work on the upcoming web technology's.

7. floweracre
    Pint

Confused

I thought I'd had that version for ages?

8. Mark Dowling
    FAIL

I just love the other Google Chrome feature

accidentally closing a multitab window without an option to confirm. Open Chrome again, click to reload all recent tabs, and sigh.

This topic is closed for new posts.