back to article PARIS looking 50/50 for Saturday launch

The Paper Aircraft Released Into Space team is nervously eyeing the skies ahead of Saturday's planned launch. According to the latest predictions, it's not looking too promising, with a good chance of rain and cloud over the weekend. Of course, conditions today are absolutely perfect here in the Iberian peninsula, and are set …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steve Foster
    Joke

Pilot jetting in from the USA...

...so it's not Ben Collins, then...

1. James Hughes 1

I think

He's still stuck in the gravel trap at Paddock Hill bend.

2. jamesmann
    Dead Vulture

Want more construction pictures!!!!

You're either sitting on your hands doing bugger all (or "journalism" as you no doubt call it) or you're building the sodding Vulture 1. Let's see some pictures - unless you've completely buggered the thing and are having to do a hastry re-build.

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: Want more construction pictures!!!!

Oi - we've been slaving away for weeks on the Vulture 1, on and off, when not sitting on our hands staring at computer screens.

You'll get the full, no holds-barred construction pics later this week, as promised.

The reason for holding back further details is that we got word that North Korea is planning its own version of the aircraft - dubbed the "Heavenly Kim Jong-Il Chariot".

Accordingly, secrecy is paramount ahead of the launch if we want to keep our space plane tech from falling into the hands of godless commies, who'll doubtless use to to nuke Seoul.

So now you know, you impatient whippersnapper.

1. jamesmann

Fair...

...enough.

3. Poor Coco
    Boffin

GO GO GO!

That is all.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Vultures Are Go

^o^ <--vulture icon

5. Hugh Pumphrey
    Joke

This pilot ...

He wouldn't be a tiny paper copy of tiny Tom Cruse, would he?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Maybe...

...if we all pitch in we can get the real one, they're about the same height.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

In the event of poor weather pausing the countdown

will the fancy dress party still be taking place?

7. SteveD

Typical

I must have displeased a Deity at some point. It's almost certain to rain whenever I go anywhere. Perhaps I should hire myself out to drought ridden areas

8. h 6
    Go

Pilot

George Takei, perchance?!

9. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

"right stuff" pilot

so... going for the obvious (Chuck Yeager) or the more obscure but still technically correct (Scott Crossfield or any other member of the Mercury Seven)?

10. John Hoar
    Boffin

For those of us in the Iberian peninsula

Where are you going to be? Any chance of watching the big event?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: For those of us in the Iberian peninsula

Keep up there at the back, we've already been told. Peña Negra, Avila. However much I'd like to be present at such an historic event the thought of a 5 hour round trip from Madrid is at the moment rather putting more of damper on things than the predicted weather.

What we don't know is an estimated launch time window.

11. Kevin Reader
    Paris Hilton

oh.

Aah, a bloke.

I was hoping you might have got the eponymous Ms Hilton to waggle the joystick for you. I understand she has appropriate experience and there are less countries she can fly into these days. That 747 she "borrows from a friend" would have made a nice chase plane too.

Hmm. So holding out for someone with the "right stuff"... Nasa astronaut would be good.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Lightning Strikes !!!

Is there any lightning-strike deflection system to protect the payload ?

13. Z80
    Paris Hilton

The Pilot

If we guess the pilot's identity correctly would you publish the comment or would that spoil the surprise?

14. Anonymous Coward
    Go

I hope you're using a big battery

I have a Canon A560 too, and like many people I have experienced a battery problem. The camera uses AA batteries and regardless of whether I use fully charged rechargeables or fresh alkaline batteries, the camera can just manage to switch on and die after taking just one picture.

I haven't tried lithium batteries as it would just be a waste of even more money. I really really hope yours works properly. All the best!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I hope you're using a big battery

We've been through this before about the A560 eating batteries. Amongst those I've tried I've found Duracell Active Charge to be best.

15. bugalugs
    Coat

cue Julie Andrews...

" The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plane* "

@AC201010181411 I like your suggestion

but proffer " <0/( " as a future vulture ascicon(c).

* yes, yes, plain, I know

IGMC

This topic is closed for new posts.