back to article Flakey scales brand Commonwealth boxers bunch of blobs

The Commonwealth Games boxing tournament collapsed into farce today as official scales delivered wildly inconsistent readings and declared virtually every fighter overweight. Fighters who had been given readings above their weight class at the Delhi weigh-in rushed to sweat off extra pounds, with frantic runs, gym sessions or …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

They should have used

Register units!

1. Rogerborg

Agreed on the units

Surely the time has come to weigh boxers in fractions of a blue whale, or failing that, a Welshman.

2. Dan 10
    Thumb Up

Best. Quote. Ever

"I thought last year when I witnessed a bloke in Victoria win a fight with one arm I had seen it all, but this even tops that.""

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Coat

Re: Best. Quote. Ever

I can't help wondering how a disembodied arm got a boxing license.

Odd place Australia......

3. Brian 6

Scales were right.

"However, authorities finally backed down and agreed to recalibrate the scales after someone brought in a 50Kg weight from the gym - which delivered a reading of 51.4Kg on the official scales." Yeah cos there is no possible way the gym weight could possibly of weighed 51.4Kg.

1. Amazon Wageslave
      FAIL

you're talking mince

the weight plate will almost certainly be competition certified, which requires a very high level of accuracy.

So no, there's no way a 50Kg plate weighed 51.4Kg.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Pint

so which way is it.....

if they sourced scales that were supposed to be calabrated corectly, then I hold very little faith that the weights from the gym have been sourced from a reliable supplier too...

ether way... it showed one or both were incorect....

I makes me wonder if my pint was really a pint !!!

2. Brian 6

Think before u type...

The scales were competition certified as well that's why they were using them.... Anyway no matter how badly calibrated they were they would never show that a lighter object was heavier than a heavier one was. So the boxers WERE WRONG.

1. Rasczak
          FAIL

Brian 6 needs to think.

It is simple really.

Competition certified scales say competition certified weight is heavier than certified.

Either scales are wrong, weight is wrong, or even both are wrong. Whichever it is, it is not the boxers that are wrong.

2. Rasczak
      Boffin

Which was wrong ?

I would expect that the weight referred to was one used for weightlifting, so it would need to be accurate as well.

So if the scales were correct in showing the weight as being 51.4Kg, it would then mean that the weightlifting weights were wrong instead.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Welcome to the land of outsourcing

Well, I for one am not surprised. The quality of the games delivery is not any different from the quality of software product we get from over there.

It is managed using the same management methods and the same level of embezzlement, corruption and nepotism.

Our glorious sportsmen should stop bitchin'.

We have to contend on a daily basis with the same quality when dealing with banking systems, billing, networking, call center, etc and we do not bitch. They are now showing that they cannot live with it for 3 days once in a century. What is once in a century compared to operating something produced this way on a daily basis? And we are not even allowed to complain about it...

Nuff said. Nothing new here. This does not qualify as news. It is "business as usual".

5. Dave in the States
    Coat

One Armed Boxer...

I take it he previously failed to "make weight" in Delhi?

6. TeeCee Gold badge
    Coat

Balls of steel required.

Who here would stand in a pack of professional pugilists and accuse them all of being fat bastards?

1. Sweep

professional pugilists

Amateur, at the commonwealth games I would have thought. Answer is still not me though.

7. petur
    Grenade

@Welcome to the land of outsourcing

Indeed.... having worked together with 'developers' over there, I'm not surprised at all this is a total failure. Seems to be a common feature in India.

8. JaitcH
    Unhappy

Beware of the "Made in China" label

Sounds like these scales were made by the same outfit that made my wife's cookery scales which we purchased on a visit to China.

My wife, an experienced careful cook, weighed out the ingredients and the fruits of her work were frequently disappointing. One day the low battery indicator light flashed so she resorted to her older scales and the results were perfect.

The the penny/cent/dong dropped and on changing the batteries we found that several different readings could be achieved even when weihhing the same item!

Made in China should serve as a warning.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. John H Woods Silver badge

I always check my scales...

... water weighs 1g/ml. What is amazing is that, in a competition environment, no one thought to check these as a matter of course.

9. Reading Your E-mail
    Coat

you know what they say

pay peanuts......

10. Adrian Esdaile
    Boffin

Oldest trick in the book

Did anyone check to see if the weigh-person had their thumb on the scale?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like