back to article Critical Internet Resources not so critical

If you were to list Internet conferences in terms of boredom, the IGF would come mid- to top-table. It doesn’t have the razzmatazz or micro-celebrities of Web2.0 conferences but then it also doesn’t suffer the long, drawn-out pondering of intergovernmental talk-fests. That’s why it’s so important that the Critical Internet …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Gareth

Everything's just peachy?

Is the lack of energy because, by and large, the Internet is currently working pretty well and the IGF's job is, for the moment, mostly complete?

2. xj25vm

Title

What can I say - I'm impressed. Quite an art to write an interesting article about attending an uninteresting event. Quite entertaining really. Well done.

3. Captain Save-a-ho
    Big Brother

Really, really good news

So nothing of significance will happen until the end of the world? That's the best news I've heard this year.

Always better when politics gets in the way of so-called "progress".

/from my mountain bunker...

4. copsewood
    Boffin

naming and addressing of objects ?

Is anything else really "governed" on the Internet ? If no, is that maybe, why the subject gets boring ? My political self may be able to see very well in principle why this should all be done under the auspices of the ITU rather than a company registered in the State of California, but doesn't my engineering self generally tend to take the view that if something isn't broken then why waste time trying to fix it ? Would a UN committee and bureaucracy not take more tax from top level domain registrars and regional address space carve-up registrars than a private company that can't begin to be able to justify its own monopoly status ?

5. Yes Me Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

That's good news!

"The problem is that without some kind of solid outcomes from the IGF, it will be increasingly difficult to keep people interested and for people to get funds to attend."

And why exactly would this be a problem? The IGF has been a waste of space since it started. As long as the ITU Plenipot keeps its nose out, we're doing just fine. Governance not needed, thanks.

Paris, because unlike the IGF, she performs community service.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like