back to article Webmin's virtual twin

More Mins: Virtualmin is an open core extension to Webmin. It allows a systems administrator to manage all the elements to provide shared hosting to multiple customers from one Linux server. Unlike Webmin, in which you configure all of the elements on a per-application basis, Virtualmin approaches configuration domain by domain …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Adam 2
    Coat

Don't confuse VirtualMin with Virtualisation

Virtualmin is a badly named competitor to Plesk & Cpanel.

It is designed to manage Apache Virtual Hosts and email, dns and just about everything else of various domains. It is not a way of managing VM/Xen/KVM Virtual Servers, instead this is done by its sister application Cloudmin.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

@Adam 2

Shhh. Enough with the spoilers! (Cloudmin article is next...)

Seriously though, I wish Apache had a different name than "virtual servers" for how it slices up resources on a server. I know that Apache's use of "virtual servers" came about before the x86 revolution...but it makes it difficult to explain the differences when they both sue the same terminology.

Not only that, but there are “shared kernel” and “non-shared kernel” x86 virtualisation packages as well. It’s all a bit of a muddle. I understand it just fine...but I've been tinkering with it all for over a decade. It makes newbies' eyes cross.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

err...

"I know that Apache's use of "virtual servers" came about before the x86 revolution"

Change to "x86 virtualisation revolution."

This topic is closed for new posts.