back to article Rioting lags demand women's tennis

Prison inmates deprived of the viewing pleasure of watching Vera Zvonareva and Kim Clijsters mixing it up at Wimbledon earlier this year responded with a quick riot, the Telegraph reports. Thirty-two lags at Cookham Wood Young Offenders Institution in Rochester, Kent, were none too pleased when screws declared their recreation …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jonathan White

Blimey

If they wrecked the joint over missing Zvonareva vs Clijsters imagine what they'll do when they find out they've missed Sharapova vs Wozniacki a few nights back...

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge
    Welcome

All hail Lester Haines

Lags, malcontents and ne'er-do-wells all in the same article. Brilliant!

As for the IT angle - watching nubile young ladies panting and groaning certainly fits my job description and I work in IT.

1. Anomalous Cowturd
      Badgers

@ Lucky boy Charlie

I just hope you don't work at my daughter's school, overlooking the playing fields...

Badgers, not beavers.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

it turned ugly

when zvonareva came on court

4. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

How did they do that

'breaking bits of concrete off walls'?

is this a new prison built on the cheap by the last government?, or a very old one thats falling to bits , if the latter, why don't they just knock the walls down (perhaps they should watch Shawshank Redemption to get some tips)

Or is this yet another case of bad reporting?

5. Stratman

title

If it had been the Williams brothers playing none of this would have happened.

6. Anomalous Cowturd
    Coat

What the fuck are they feeding them? Four Shredded Wheat?

>> and breaking bits of concrete off walls and hurling them at wardens.

Or are our prisons really falling apart that badly? Malignant concrete cancer?

Yes, the donkey jacket with HMP on the back. Ta very much.

7. asdf
    Flame

wow only in the UK

Here in the states we hear prison riot and inmates tend to die in large numbers (both due to internal gang fights and overzealous police). We tend to be very reactionary and harsh towards our criminals (as shown in Shawshank) for better or worse.

8. Andrew the Invertebrate

Horse Guards parade 2012

if there was this much fuss over tennis, they'd better put the Army on stand by for the Olympic beach volley-ball

9. Atonnis

Criminals...

I just wished that every one of them was dragged into their cell and beaten. You're a criminal in prison, the only rights you should have are the rights to safety from other prisoners. Beyond that, you don't deserve TV, food beyond the minimum to keep you alive, or exercise equipment.

What you do deserve is punishment for your crimes.

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Criminals...

Well that's cleared that one up.

2. Gene Poole

@Criminals...

And here I sat thinking that the purpose of YOIs is the rehabilitation of offenders. Silly me. Why don't you lobby for the reintroduction of a few medieval punishments while you're at it?

This topic is closed for new posts.