back to article What is IBM up to in October?

The tag line is promising; on October 7th you'll wonder how you managed data on October 6th. That's what Big Blue is promising with a "new and ground-breaking [storage] solution." The word is that it will feature virtualisation, deduplication, compression - think Storwize, thin provisioning, automated tiering, and will provide …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. frank fegert

We too have heard some rumors ...

... about it being something in the vicinity of a "new storage system build by IBM" (not OEMed like the DS3/4/5k series) with some connection to the SVC. Sadly, no more in depth infromation was available.

To take a wild guess, i could imagine attaching a more dumb storage array to the SVC, while moving some of the array controller logic - like classic RAID or a XIV-type chunk based RAID - into the SVC.

If they'd also drop the outrageous SVC volume licensing prices by a significant portion we'd definately be game!

2. jabuzz

Not SVC then

Anything that has a WebSphere based interface is by definition not easy to use, so that rules out SVC :-)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Troll

Ummm...

IBM has proven that they cannot do storage. Just stop already!

On a lighter note, this sounds like it's going after the Sun SS7000

series. I wonder if IBM is dropping NetApp? Hmmm...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

No! No! NO!

You are putting the emphasis on the wrong words in that sentence. What they mean is they have created a little device, similar to the one in Men in Black, that will wipe your memories and literally make you wonder how you managed data back on the 6th.

5. Giles Jones Gold badge

Yawn

It will still be stored on hard disks. This is just another storage management system or a storage OS.

The revolution will be something other than hard disks, but we're nowhere near finding a replacement. SSDs will get there, but there's the issue of write cycles.

6. Jolyon Ralph
    Thumb Up

October 7th

Are they doing something to celebrate my birthday? That's nice of them.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like