back to article Open source HPC file system gets startup

High performance computing – by which is meant traditional parallel supercomputing as well as data analytics and hyperscale cloudy infrastructure – is facing a looming file system and storage bottleneck, and Whamcloud, a startup backed by $10m in private funding and some of the top people behind the Lustre file system, want to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. David Halko
    Go

Lustre and ZFS - Perfect Together!

Timothy Prickett Morgan writes, "Oracle is the gatekeeper for Lustre, but has not said much about its plans for the parallel file system... Oracle's plans for traditional HPC are unclear, and as such, so are its plans for Lustre."

Oracle seemed very clear on it's plans for Lustre...

http://lists.lustre.org/pipermail/lustre-announce/attachments/20100414/34394870/attachment-0001.pdf

Lustre and ZFS - Perfect Together!

2. bmurphy

Panasas File System

Timothy,

Good article on parallel file systems but I have to note an exception to one of the statements in your article:

“About half of the computers in the Top 500 rankings use Lustre, and the only practical alternative for big parallel clusters is IBM's Global Parallel File System, which is proprietary and not particularly cheap.”

Panasas is a highly successful alternative to Lustre with over 250 HPC parallel cluster implementations including at Los Alamos National Laboratories where Panasas is part of the Roadrunner system (#3 on the Top 500 list) as well as their new CIELO supercomputer system. I am admittedly biased towards Panasas (full disclosure – I am the new Chief Marketing Officer for the company), but with the recent concerns about Lustre’s future as a true open source system given Oracle’s statements of direction, Panasas offers a very attractive alternative in terms of performance, price and manageability.

I look forward to future dialog

Barbara Murphy

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like