back to article All-in-One Inkjet Printers: Best Buys

Before I announce which printers have won Reg Hardware awards, let's first see how they measure up against each other. Print-speed Tests Multi-page Printing £150 Inkjet group test Output in pages per minute (PPM) Longer bars are better Photo Printing £150 Inkjet group test Time to print 15 x 10cm photo in Seconds (s) …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Scanning

any info on the scanning ability? are the scanners USB only? or can they scan to an internal drive for network share?

2. 2FishInATank

this is a title

I recently bought a somewhat cheaper MFD - I went for a Brother MFC-255CW, although the printing element was the least of it's features for me. I only required a scanner and fax machine as I already have a laser for bulk/b&w work and a dye-sub for photo quality stuff.

I second AC's call - more info about the scanning capabilities would be useful.

As would knowing more about the print cartridges - I chose the Brother over Lexmark, Epson, Canon and HP models because it was the only one which had separate CMYK cartridges rather than a single one which would require replacement as soon as one colour ran out. It was also the only one whose cartridges were not chipped, meaning that I've got the option to re-fill them once they're empty.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Brother

Brother drivers and support is absolutely amazing compared to any other company - I'd choose them just for this.

4. justkyle
    Go

Kudos on including cost per page!

This is frequently over looked by other so-called reviewers.

However; you should also have mentioned which device would print from an iPhone, and which devices print from a Mac?

The reason why? I'm currently looking into replacing my Canon multifunction with a new inkjet multifunction because it's cheaper than buying 5 ink cartridges. 5 cartridges * $15 per cartridge yields $75, plus tax.

Was seriously considering another Canon multifunction with the MX340, but the Kodak 5250 (not reviewed here) also allows for printing from an iPhone. I'm not so sure about printing from a Mac, though.

Some HP Officejets allow for iPhone printing, but I think they have to be WiFi enabled.

next up, perhaps a laser multifunction printer review?

5. RichardEM

how well do they work on Mac's

I have found that many of the all-in -ones work well om Windows but their driver for scanning and faxinf on the mc are deficient.

Are you going to test those features. Also, if they work on a network are you going to test the machine performance for all their capabilities over a mixed network, Mac & PC.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

OK, I'll be the one to mention Linux!

I'm looking for a new machine, as my trusty Pixma ip5000 is beginning to fall apart, and my HP scanner will just not work with ubuntu.

Had been looking at the Canon Pixma stuff. Nice that they do make Linux drivers available.

The other big factor is cartridge refilling. Never been a problem with my old pixma: no chip on the cartridge, and the print head is not bult in to the cartridge either which reduces the cost anyway. There is no way I am going to go on buying the Champagne so long as Cartridge World can refill.

Have been thinking about the MP568 --- home machine use.

6. ShaggyDoggy

Carts

Are those running costs using "original" or compatible cartidges ?

7. Simon Williams
    Boffin

Clarification

All running cost tests use manufacturers' original cartridges at RRP. All printers tested have drivers for OS X, as well as Windows. None of these £150 devices has an internal drive.

8. Mike 16

How well does supplied software work?

I, for one, will bever buy another HP product:

The 3210 I have blue-screens if I plug in the network cable that was a major reason to go with it.

The included scanning software randomly reverts settings, e.g. changing the resolution when you just try to adjust the crop-box, and generating a random crop-box with only a tenuous connection to the contents of the scanned image, _every_ scan.

Support requires a serial number and date of purchase to even _ask_ if there is an upgrade to fix this. (of course we always keep every receipt, right?)

Now, why would my experience with a different product than the one reviewed be relevant? Well, there is a lot of software commonality among HP devices, so I would expect any of their products to be similarly infested. And of course their "legendary" support is across the board.

Not my first HP product (Still have a four-pen plotter :-), but definitely my last.

My 2d

1. Headwest

HP Printer Software

I was feeling pretty smug having bought the HP Officejet 6500 but I have to agree with the software comment.

The HP software takes at least 20 minutes to install (what can it possibly be doing?), insists on reverting to 'Letter' paper whenever your back is turned (you can't overwrite the default presets) and has a habit of reporting things as printed when they've been poured down a black hole somewhere. I've also had to remove and re-install on occasions to get it printing at all.

Printer drivers used to arrive on one floppy disk - how hard can they be?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Linux Support?

And which one should I buy for use on my Fedora Linux computers?

My current Canon has no support whatever for the scanner and fax :-( and only partially works for printing by selecting a driver for an apparently unrelated printer model. :-(

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like