back to article Samsung HT-C6930 3D Blu-ray home cinema set

If you like your visual entertainment to leap out of the TV and in to the living room, the 3D-capable Samsung HT-C6930 home theatre kit may well be for you. And there are several other reasons why this system deserves serious consideration if you're after a state-of-the-art home cinema. Samsung HT C6930 Home Cinema Samsung's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

The hideous test tone...

...that is emitted by the microphone. This is presumably picked up by the speakers?

2. Richard 116
    FAIL

Sorry...?

"compatibility is extensive but does preclude connected disks formatted with the NFTS file system."

Hmm, fail I think.

1. Mark 65

Maybe not

Probably didn't want to license a driver like NTFS-3G or potentially run the risk of being the next Tom Tom. Can't say I blame them - they've got a big business to protect.

3. Sir Runcible Spoon Silver badge
    WTF?

Sir

It's so kind of Samsung to include a single pair of 3d glasses with their 3d TV as a special offer.

Shouldn't they be a standard accompanyment (sp?)

4. Shane Sturrock
    Thumb Down

Living miniatures

The worst part about 3D TVs in the home is that the screens are too small. I was testing a set in a local store using a demo of some live stage performers and everyone looked tiny. What I found was that the closer I got to the screen, the more lifelike their size appeared until I reached a distance of 1m at which point the visual effect was very good. At any distance further though the miniaturisation effect kicked in again.

3D works in the cinema because the screen is very large and almost fills your field of view. Shrink the screen and the 3D effect shrinks too so I can only conclude that you'll need a massive screen in your living room for 3D to actually produce a realistic image and by massive I think you're looking at one over 100" diagonal.

Of course, this all ignores the ridiculous high price for the active glasses with their inherent flicker (drove me nuts after a while) and the fact that the screen looks quite dim as a result of them but those are minor next to the scale issue.

5. mike_ackee

Ghosting...

"The only real distraction is the ghosting caused by cross-talk interference but it’s not as bad as I’ve seen on some other screens."

The ghosting is a function of the TV and goggles. It is caused either by an incorrect dark time or phase adjustment in the TV that does not match the requirements of the glasses.

6. D@v3
    WTF?

i am curious...

as to what the 3rd item from the left is, in the photo on the first page of the review.

I see, 7.1 speakers, blueray player, and a little something extra.

Anybody know what it is, and what it does?

1. Citizen Kaned

thats an amp i guess....

i guess its the amp?

on a side note, is that br player a top loader? if so massive fail, since you always need your centre speaker just below the tv, relegating all other units to the shelf below in your AV rack. this simply doesnt work. toploaders are dead for a reason

2. PC Paul

You're right, you are curious...

The random 3rd box is the wireless receiver/amp for the rear speakers, I think.

SuperFi have a link to the manual on their page for it.

It also has a separate iPod dock on a dangly cable.

7. Pantera

mkv

So did you check if the mkx was for real or just a gimmick, in the past systems have had less than complete support and samsung would not be the first to claim to be compatible while only playing 1 in 10

8. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

5.1 & DTS-HD from an mkv over lan?

can this beast do 5.1 and DTS-HD in an mkv over the lan, cos if it can, im ordering and dumping my popcorn hour which cant, in the bedroom

9. The BigYin

Networking?

Let's say I have MythTV (or something) installed on a back-end, can I stream media from there (CDs, DVDs, recorded TV) on this box? If I put a Blu-Ray in this, can I stream the media from there (assuming my home network is up to the job) to another system?

Unless the answer to both is "yes", then this really isn't worth £600. The fact it can't even support NTFS is a bit of a surprise, what about EXT4 etc?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020