back to article Microsoft's Flash challenger Silverlight hits Symbian

Microsoft's Flash challenger Silverlight has landed on Symbian handsets from Nokia ahead of full Silverlight on Windows phones. The company's browser-based media player is now available from Nokia's Ovi store for fifth-edition Nokia S60 devices such as Nokia 5800 XpressMusic and N97. Nokia claims there are more than 20 million …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. M Gale

Moonlight is not Silverlight

There. Got it through your head yet? I'm sorry, but there's no way in hell that Moonlight will do anything other than trail behind Silverlight as far as compatiblity goes. You think Microsoft want anybody to think that Linux or any other plarform is "as good as" Windows? No. And you can bet that they'll pull any and all support if the open-source alternative becomes anything like competition to their own proprietary version.

Once again: Moonlight is not Silverlight.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

@M Gale

You know, Moonlight is as close to Silverlight as is humanly possible given the actual number of warm bodies doing the work. My understanding is that Microsoft have provided all the documentation and support that could be asked for as soon as Microsoft itself actually had it to hand out. If push comes to shove, and Microsoft needs this stepped up a speed notch, I am certain they will pay Novell to round up a hugeish dev team and simply get it done. Until they have got this thing out to all the mobile platforms, and can start talking about “minimum cross-platform feature levels,” then frankly I don’t think Microsoft cares.

Now, if the project devs want to respond to me and say “I’m sorry, you’re wrong, Microsoft have been standoffish douches” then I will accept their word on that. My understanding of the situation however is completely the opposite.

If you want to know why Microsoft isn’t pounding out their own client for Linux then the simple answer is “because they don’t have to.” There are these people out there who apparently will take this task off their hands for a far smaller financial investment than Microsoft actually throwing money at bodies to code it for them. (Instead of several coders and some administration staff they burn what, one body’s worth of time doing co-ordination with the project?) They have so many other platforms to port Silverlight to that anything that made putting it on Linux/Unix, (a platform Microsoft doesn’t have all that much experience with,) easier was, is, and always will be welcomed.

I would normally applaud cynicism, but I think you completely miss that Microsoft actually WANTS Silverlight to be everywhere, including Linux and Unix. I seriously doubt Microsoft would ever “pull support” on this platform for a number of very good commercial reasons having to do with setting the standards and controlling the ever living fnord out of them. The more widespread it becomes, the better off Microsoft is. Silverlight is one of the only things Microsoft is actually doing right. They are playing the very long game with this product, and not worrying about quarterly figures.

Moonlight is not Silverlight…yet, but eventually feature parity will become a Microsoft priority.

1. Tom 38
        Jobs Horns

You didnt repeat after him

@Trevor: Moonlight is not, never will be, and never can be silverlight. There is the tricky issue of DRM, which cannot be implemented in moonlight, and never will be.

The primary reason a content provider would choose silverlight as a delivery platform (apart from all the goodies MS will throw at them) is the tight DRM controls that allow them to protect their precious content.

Without DRM, moonlight is not, will not, can not ever be silverlight compatible. Got that? The whole thing is an e-wank for Miguel de Icaza, just like the rest of Mono.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More than a media player

Silverlight is much more than a media player.

Moonlight is not silverlight, but they do have access to the test suite so that they can be sure to conform. It will probably always be a version behind the MS implementation.

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

ooh

A second rate re-implementation of a third rate runtime on a dying and sadly now forth-rate platform? My nipples literally explode with delight.

4. ar106
    FAIL

Crashes the browser on my 5800XM

Installed the app, went to a few different web pages with Silverlight content on them in the default browser. In all cases the browser just crashes out, even after phone restart. Not a great start for me. Is it actually working for anyone else?

5. Sirius Lee

Only Silverlight 2.0?

It was disappointing after downloading the Silverlight for Symbian beta to find it was Silverlight 2.0. References to the equivalent Silverlight version are missing from the Ovi store page and from Microsoft'd Silverlight.net site.

Anyone know of the features available in the Symbian version? Silverlight 2.0 was an under-acheiver and contrary to the comment made by Anonymous Coward had little more use than for creating skinnable media players. By contrast the Silverlight version for Windows Phone 7 is Silverlight 3+.

6. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Is documentation provided because of legal obligation?

I thought that one or more of the abuse-of-monopoly type actions against Microsoft included their secret APIs used by their own applicaiions and not others, and that an order was made that in at least some jurisdictions, and in practice everywhere, they must publish API and other relevant documentation.

I may have this wrong, but they're liable to be cooperative, if not being cooperative means that the people who are uncooperative go to jail. And I'm not saying anything about how cooperative they'd be if that wasn't the case. I'm saying that we don't know.

7. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

Moonlight doesn't count.

@Trever_pott, maybe it is as close as humanly possible. But, really, it's not good enough. Mono itself does a pretty good job of running various .NET apps, and I give them props for it. But Moonlight? I tried it some months ago, and it ran like 1/10th of the demos -- some fancy demo with all the bells and whistles would work, while other demos, no matter how simple -- even ones that were just going to draw a box or display a few lines of text, those would fail. With Moonlight installed, pages will look for Silverlight -- not Moonlight -- and say Silverlight must be installed, rather than even attempting to run.

To be honest, I am with M Gale on this one, I view moonlight in it's current shape largely as a ploy for Microsoft to claim Silverlight supporton platforms where it realistically doesn't exist.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

When a site uses MS Silverlight....

I change sites.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like