back to article Viewsonic VEB620 e-Book reader

Given ViewSonic’s penchant for monitors it might at first sight seem a little odd that its e-reader debut is to launch a pair of standard, 16 greyscale E-Ink devices, the VEB620 and VEB625, rather than going for colour. But E-Ink’s displays are easy on the eye, deliver excellent battery life, and are less expensive to build than …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Matt_payne666

yep..

it may not be good, but atleast its another real ebook reader! with the ifad touting its usefulness, i was worried that everyone would give up on eink and try and convince people that squinting at a shiny backlit display was the way forwards!

if only they were sub £100! that would be a sweet spot for these devices.... oh and shops would stop charging the same for a digital edition as a paperback!

2. Sebastian Brosig

Can't please all the people all the time

Quote from review of Buokeen Cybook:

"I for one like a little music with my literature and I'd prefer to get them both off the same device."

Quote from review of VEB620:

"OK, does have the additional feature over the Cybook of playing music, but frankly I’d use a separate player every time"

3. Britt Johnston
    Grenade

too late?

Now that prices are dropping fast in US, the newcomers will find life harder. They have to match the 150 dollar price, and add something of value. Maybe this US company is fleeing the competition and mopping up in less developed markets.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why...

...so small a screen?

When will any of the manufacturers produce a device with a 9 or 10 inch screen at about £100? These tiny units are useless for viewing technical manuals with diagrams.

1. Matt_payne666

title

tech manuals can be a pain... i have a couple of user manuals on my sony pocket and whilst the screen is way too small to view them, the processor and refresh makes it a nightmare to navigate anyway...

what this format is ideal for is casual reading, it is just pocketable in my cargos and is invisible in my laptopbag. any bigger and id not bother! what is needed is a waterproof reader for beach and pool use!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like