back to article Zuckerberg advises UK.gov on using Facebook

The culture secretary Jeremy Hunt today met Facebook's main node Mark Zuckerberg. The young CEO is in London for a developer conference, and took the opportunity to press the government to use Facebook more in its decision-making. "Really smart guy with some good ideas on improvement [sic] digital engagement in policy making …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Rob

Will the film...

... talk about the 2 brothers who originally came up with the idea and are currently in the middle of a settlement dispute on how much Mark is going to pay them?

Facebook seems to be working for some local authorities but ot so sure about how it would work for central gov.

2. Andy 6
    Alert

dumb fuks ????

so, he refers to his facebook users as "dumb fucks". . . .and then encourages the government to use facebook more in its decision making. . . . . . .

seems fitting somehow

:|

1. Number6

A good match

I was thinking along the same lines - given how many politicians appear to treat the electorate.

3. TeeCee Gold badge
    FAIL

OMFG!

We have a "Culture Secretary" who gladhands Zuckerberg and rabbits on about "...digital engagement in policy making," to his Twitter followers? How did the Honourable Member for Philistia* get that job then?

I have a sneaking suspicion that this means that "Culture" now includes things like a YouTube stream of "Britain's got Talent - LIVE from Blackpool Pleasure Beach".

Just for the record, in case anyone cares, here's my advice to uk.gov on using Facebook:

DON'T!

*Yes, that probably is a terrible slur on the learned culture of the noble Philistines. I make no apologies.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pakistan

With Zuckerberg in the UK doesn't that mean that Pakistan will be able to get of him since he's no longer within the safe borders of US of A?

5. solarian
    Black Helicopters

Uh-huh

Why don't we just put it out to tender for the Russians and the Chinese, whilst we're at it? I hope this idea gets shot down pretty quickly...

6. Anonymous Cowherd 3

I don't know anything about this Zuckerberg guy

But ideas are cheap. The original idea for Facebook came about at the same time as loads of similar social networking ventures which have fallen by the wayside through random chance or poor implementation.

The original idea is a very small part in the overall success of Facebook. Whether you believe that success is more down to good implementation or blind good fortune any lawsuit claiming the idea was stolen is unlikely to yield much cash.

7. Andy Jones
    WTF?

Great

This will be absolutely brilliant if the election is Facebooked. Instead of going down the polling station I can just go to my preferred candidates Facebook page and click the 'Like' button.

Brilliant. </joke>

The culture secretary this article is talking about is just the man who is in charge of the governmental yoghurt pots! Nothing to get excited about.

8. heyrick Silver badge

"Really smart guy with some good ideas on improvement [sic] digital engagement in policy making,"

The first eight words form part of a coherent sentence. The rest of it sounds like something filched from a Powerpoint slide which uses multisyllabic words to say exactly nothing. I'll know we're doomed when he talks about "synergy".

1. Allan George Dyer Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Digital engagement in policy making...

makes me think of the Little Dutch Boy who stuck his finger in a dyke.

(icon: or was it a thumb?)

2. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

Coherent but worrying..

I got worried after the first three words. "Really smart guy" in relation to Zuckerberg says things about the speaker I don't even want to contemplate for people who are supposedly going to lead the country out of the current mess.

9. PJ H
    FAIL

Considering how..

... both Facebook's and the civil service's attitude to protection of privacy of the proles seem so similar, would there really be that much difference if the government did use Facebook?

10. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

UK Gov inspired the little twat

He got all his ideas from reading about how the UK gov have spent years losing and abusing private information.

Anyone know where the thieving little bastard is staying?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

oh lord

now let's teach politicians how to happy slap each other, innit

12. Charlie Clark Silver badge
    Terminator

I resign

Germany's respected business newspaper carried an analysis of Germany's world cup game (ha ha) against Serbia with an analysis of the turds spurted on the meta-facebook wannabe, tw*tter. In a nod towards those other idiots who think you can make money on stocks and shares by following the plotted curves. This was supposed to be journalism, although you could easily be forgiven thinking that hadn't been discovered here if you read any of the sports coverage which flips between felching the heroes when they're winning to demanding they be hung, drawn and quartered if they don't win - drawing is just as bad.

It's so depressing that I need a Marvin icon.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Privacy Settings?

Or is *all* government data going to be public now.

I guess it might as well be!

1. The Fuzzy Wotnot
      Happy

What do you mean, it already is?

Just wander down to your local train station or taxi rank and pick up a Gov USB stick or laptop!

14. Mr Young
    Pint

I feel left out now

Facebook? Who is this Zuckerberg fellow?

15. Mark 65

Muppet

"press the government to use Facebook more in its decision-making"

The economy is in enough of a shite state as it is without rooting the entire process of Government by engaging people via a security hole riddled privacy destroying f*ckwit bizarre like Facebook.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Correction..

" without rooting the entire process of Government by engaging people" should be "without rooting the entire process of Government by engaging unelected, inexperienced rich foreigners/idiots (delete where applicable)"..

Zuckerberg proves that getting rich does not equal to having a clue to go with it.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tories quick off the blocks

... to prove that when it comes to stupidity, they're entirely the equals of Labour.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I thought facebook users

....were dumb fuks?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022