back to article Mac OS X cranked to 10.6.4

Apple added another item to its busy day with the release of version 10.6.4 updates for both Mac OS X and Mac OS X server. Combine the OS update with the release of the new Mac mini, the beginning of iPhone 4 preorders, and the availability of the Apple Store iPhone app, and Cupertino is celebrating the 167th birthday of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Bummer

Well I'm not installing that patch for a while then - I've better things to do than wreck my Mac.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

What's the nature of the problem?

If you've uncovered a problem with the update, can you share it with us?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nothing broken here

Installed it on an Intel Mini, iMac and MBP here this evening and everything is dandy. No problems.

1. Gene Poole
      Thumb Up

...nor here

Installed on a Mac Pro last night. No problems whatsoever, although somewhat unusually it did require a reboot.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Does it fix the cifs / SaMBa client?

Have they unbroken the cifs / smb client that totally caused a load of hastle with certain NAS kit where you couldn't disable unix extensions in the SaMBa server config? Be great if they actually tested interopabiltiy with other OSs before releasing code.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Halo

smooth update

More tethered cameras supported in Aperture yay!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@GenePoole: Reboot?

OS level updates always require a reboot, there's nothing unusual about that.

6. dickiedyce

SD Sandbox

Time for judicious use of a sandbox - SuperDuper does a great job of it, and 'uninstalling' a system is only a 3/4 of a cup of coffee job...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No problems here

mark you, 600MB+ is a hefty old download

8. Juan Inamillion
    FAIL

Eh?

".... that Apple updates — like all updates — have a way of breaking things..."

Really? In more than 15 years of updating fuck know's how many Macs. I've rarely, if ever, had a problem after an update....

Shome mishtake surely.

9. vic 4
    Unhappy

Yet another huge update

While I think it's great pushing out regular updates, why does everything have to be a huge/complete update. t seems everytime I use my mac (twice a week maybe) there is at least an 50Mb of updates to either the OS or safari (usually safari).

Can they not produce updates that give the actual updates or is the architecture of the software that bad it's not possible?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Huh?

What?

10. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Boffin

It comes with Flash 10.0

If you installed 10.1, check your flash version after installing. It wouldn't be the first time Apple's update has downgraded flash.

11. Waffles666
    Thumb Up

Wireless Modems

Hopefully this fixes the intermittent issues with wireless modems from ZTE, MAXON, Sierra Wireless etc... tired of telling Mac users to go to their local shop. Why can't they just buy a normal computer and stop winging about every piece of hardware under the sun not having Mac support

12. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

A-ok

I started with 10.4.0, so this makes it the 18th update.

Not a problem with any of them. Hand on heart.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You youngsters

I started with System 6.0.7, so this makes it the, er, you work it out.

Now get off my lawn!

1. John I'm only dancing
        Thumb Up

Those were the days

Young wipper snappers don't know they're born...installation off a few floppy discs. How times have changed, now it's install from just one DVD.

13. fuely
    Happy

Fine here

I've been testing 10.6.4 on my iMac (latest revision) and not experienced any problems thus far. I will be rolling it out across the rest of our office Macs by the end of the week - by that I mean running around last thing at night hitting update and going for a drink!

As for it being difficult to uninstall OS X updates that's true, but have you tried uninstalling a Windows Service Patch?

14. Matthew 17

sheep!

look at them all, blindly updating their machines because Jobs says so.

Sheep

Ubuntu is better

never buying one of their products.

etc

1. Barry Lane 1
      Jobs Halo

@Matthew 17:

Trollboi!

2. Dana W
      Happy

reality check

@ Mattew 17

Yes I update my Macs.

I also "blindly" update my Ubuntu box when it wants me to, even the last remaining Winbox in the place gets its updates when prompted.

So if running system updates makes you a sheep, I will assume your never update your Ubuntu box? Just curious.

15. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Reset my Desktop

The update reset my desktop wallpaper, but did not overwrite the Flash player.

16. Adam Nealis

Got Safari 5.0 at the weekend.

On an iMac. And no problems. It didn't even announce itself as v5.0.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like