back to article Facebook back in Bangladesh

Facebook is back in Bangladesh after blocking access to pages depicting the prophet Mohammed and apologising to country's telecoms authorities. The site also excised what Bangladeshi authorities described as "obnoxious" images of the country's government and opposition leaders. The social networking site was locked out of the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Magnethead
    FAIL

Title?

Way to buckle there Facebook. "...land of the free and the home of the brave" my arse.

2. Disintegrationnotallowed

Bitch

We need your people to click on shitty games and ads, please let us back.

Bangladesh: Now who's the bitch?

Get used to it guys the whole world is going this way, only a matter of time before your local gov wants to protect you too...

3. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Oppressive regimes love toadies

Good one FailBook....

4. moonface

Islam baiting. Time to let it lie.

I suppose Facebook couldn't really go on, causing this level of Islamic outrage indefinitely. The point had pretty much been made. May be it's time to move on and the general liberty benefits of individual communication outweigh the censorship in this case.

At the end of the day, we all know how tetchy some of these Islamic countries can be at uncensored depictions the Prophet Mohammed, whether in a bear suit or not. Personally, I think I will stick to non offensive and more factual subjects, such as a God possessed talking donkey.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Facebook bashing

Ok, I like Facebook bashing as much as the next guy, but all these posts talking about how Facebook buckled are completely false. The original "Everybody draw mohammed day" group was NOT removed from Facebook, but rather the CREATOR OF THE GROUP, because he felt it had gotten out of hand with extremists from both side bickering at each other.

Facebook is making no attempt to remove these images. Want proof?

search for

"Everybody draw muhammed day May 20th (back up)"

That group has been around for weeks, with thousands of images uploaded of the "Prophet". Even people in that group will tell you that the original group was removed by the creator, not Facebook.

Facebook DIDN'T buckle, Facebook DIDN'T remove anything. Please, please, reg-readers, do a bit of research before you post your knee-jerk hate. Sometimes it is warranted, however this time it is not.

6. djad442
    Unhappy

It was nothing to do with Religion

From the local newspaper and high officials we came to know that the ban had nothing to do with the images of Muhammad (pbuh) appearing in facebook. The main reason was for the funny cartoons of the prime minister was being posted. Looks like the prime ministers office didn't take it lightly. To cover up the cause of the ban they said it was because of the offensive images of Muhammad. The fact that all of a sudden the govt. decided to block facebook, even after weeks of banning by Pakistan, shows the govt don't really care about freedom of speech for the countrymen.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022