back to article Google Latitude not dead despite Buzz

Google is pushing ahead with Latitude - the mobile service that tells your friends where you are - despite its high-profile introduction of somewhat similar mobile services that hook into its new Google Buzz social networking setup. During a panel discussion at the Web 2.0 Expo in San Francisco, Google man Steve Lee - who …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yes, I CAN imagine that

"Chase offering a discount to connect their location history into the bank, saving their customers some money and providing a better mechanism for anti-fraud."

There are two sides to the coin though, aren't there? First of all there's nothing to say that connecting location history into the bank will save money or help prevent fraud. That depends entirely on the development and implementation of suitable applications and business protocols to use the data. In fact the entire comment is too general to mean anything but still conveys the lovely picture he wants us to see in our mind. This is classic Google ideology - "go on, drink up, if it looks like it'll taste good, it'll be good for you".

The flip side of this coin is where the fraud uses or abuses the history and the defrauded customer is powerless. The bank will have offloaded a lot of process onto the customer base, of which a minority will bear the brunt as they encounter fraud and have to deal with the banks and their well marketed systems. I've no objection to progress and innovation but people like Lee bear a responsibility and should be scrutinised and challenged when they make these kind of statements.

2. Andrew Baines Silver badge
    FAIL

Why do people still listen to Google?

The banks use verified by Visa et al to pass responsibility for fraud from the bank to the consumer. They'll just use the location stuff to do the same.

All google want is the ability to serve you adverts on your phone based upon your location.

Get rid of google, use Duck Duck Go - http://duckduckgo.com

3. BigRedS
    Dead Vulture

Privacy?

"Lee claiming that 10 per cent of all Android users are on the service. Which just goes to show you how many people don't care about privacy"

Or, perhaps, goes to show that Latitude is considered a useful service by some?

4. DJ 2
    Thumb Down

I'm a lattitude user

and only two of my friends use lattitude as well, unless you are looking at the map (blackberry) the location is cell tower only +- 500m for finding where your friends are at the picnic is it's great, both look at the screen and it's within meters to find the location.

The moment that any enterprise uses my location for targeting spam / fraud detection, will be the day I turn it off. It's a social tool not a means to stop corruption / add targeting.

5. nichomach

Now what does this...

...bit remind me of: ""Foursquare and other services have definitely shown tremendous value," he said. "That's definitely something we're looking at doing....""

Oh yes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGwYrZLvvJU

6. SpaceQ
    Thumb Up

Iam realtime tracked 24/7 for 5 month already.

Sharing your location can have some unseen benefits & problems which u can discover only when you try it... With this idea in mind I created service similar to latitude.. and I am testing it on myself first...iam just displaying/streaming realtime where I am at exooc.com/live.html Iam passing it to my friends as I need and real life is dictating whats needed as next feature... so far i had fun with it... for example when I thought friends wouldnt call me when they see me driving car... i was wrong.. they dont care.. they will call anyway... as its SEP(sombody's else problem) for them :)

Anyhow with W3C draft made on 10th feb.2010 and support in Chrome 5 beta firefox etc..(Android phones and Iphone..) for geolocation ... we surely will see some new creative ways how to use spatialy aware data.

do you want to test if your browser can disclose your position ? test at following page i created yday:

exooc.com/pos.thml

1. Gannon (J.) Dick
      Paris Hilton

If Google asks,

we are all in Malta.

Paris, because she knows it's not where you are that counts, but who you are.

7. OrsonX
    Thumb Down

"track their own whereabouts"

in front of PC

in front of telly

in front of Xbox

on toilet

(wow!)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like