back to article Opera moves Dragonfly to Apache for patent promise

Opera has switched its Dragonfly open source debug tool to an Apache 2.0 license to include a promise that users are protected from patents owned by Opera or any other contributor to the project. Dragonfly - similar to Mozilla's Firebug tool - completed its open sourcing in February, when it was moved from Opera servers to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Given Opera editions are free on several PCs and many handsets -

Who needs "open source"? If you mean "open like Linux, rewrite it at will."

Strictly, open source also can mean, "You can see the source code but only we get to use it." These days, I guess that mainly helps crackers to perform security violations on the product in use. So, less popular.

1. Trevor Pott o_O Gold badge
      FAIL

I need open source.

The biggest issue is when you become reliant on a product made by a company that then goes out of business. Their assets might get bought up by someone else...they might not. Meanwhile, that product can't be updated for new operating systems, ro to cope with patches.

In many cases throughout software history this story is told over and over: frequently it is with applications that simply have no alternative. You could try to write one of your own, (and that is what most companies in those situations do,) but you are then stuck trying to nurse the old App along until your in-house version is ready.

It is even worse if the application is one that has a timebomb or “call home” feature. In that case; yes you need to crack it. You can’t leagally get the program re-armed, but your corporation is dependant on it.

Abandonware is a serious issue for some companies.

2. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Opera doesn't have a timebomb but one modern equivalent is "hideous security defect"

...and they have had those. And fixed them quite promptly.

But Opera isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Unless, as I speculate from time to time, a major competitor based in Seattle crashes a plane on Opera's building, or something, and wipes the company out just like that. I genuinely don't understand why that sort of thing happens so rarely.

Also, you shouldn't really develop for Opera, you should develop for "any or every capable web browser or other suitable client, regardless of operating system". But this, evidently, can be your development tool. And even if there is a new and unfixed hideous vulnerability in Opera, you can still safely use it internally for development and testing.

What I'm not clear on yet is whether the open source part works separately from the Opera browser itself. It reads like you could write your own web browser - call it Rigoletto (or is that taken?) - that Dragonfly would plug onto, but it also reads like no one is expected to do that any time soon.

I'm not directly interested anyway, I just like Opera.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like