back to article 'Minimalist, whimsical' Google search given Bing-like overhaul

Google has overhauled its search results web page in a clear nod to the layout of Microsoft’s Bing. The company said yesterday that it had added tools on the left of its lucrative online search estate. “While we are constantly rolling out small changes and updates, today’s changes showcase the latest evolutions in our search …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. TheBloke

Where?

I don't have a search sidebar on either google.co.uk or google.com. I couldn't see any settings under Search Settings or Google Account Settings that would enable it.

What needs to be done to see it?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Troll

Re: What needs to be done

You need to grow up.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Clearing cookies may help

Mine's been like this for a while, I think it cropped up after a format, although I think it's one of those things that Google add incrementally, because about a week later it cropped up on my housemates laptop. That said, he clears his private data frequently (well, every time his girlfriend is in danger of coming round).

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Simple...

If you send me $75 monies I'll send you back the $14,000000000000 monies and tell you how to search the googles... [hmm. no facejacker icon...]

4. Samuel Williams

Now you see it, now you don't

I was doing some searching last night, and it came up randomly with new and old layouts. I guess maybe they're rolling it out piecemeal and it depends which server you hit...

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

weird!

That's strange...I get it at home but not in work!

6. Mark Aggleton

Strange behaviour

I agree, however if I do a search I get the sidebar with the results.

7. The_Police!
      Coat

Click

'Show Options' that appears after you perform a search.

It is on the same toolbar where it calculates how long a search took and how many results it found.

IT because I don't want to give them any more publicity.

Just getting my coat.

8. My Alter Ego

Re: Where?

Me too. Suggestions anyone?

9. Fuzz

live in a different country

Changes like this are often rolled out to US first. It doesn't matter if you use google.co.uk or google.com you are still served a UK version of Google.

2. Craig 12

Where

I got a new PC at work last month, and ever since I've seen all these new google things evolving. At home I see the same old boring stuff, so I assume it's something to do with cookies, and being identified as a new user.

3. Jack Garnham
    FAIL

RE: Where?

Did you, um, actually search for something?

4. Nazar
    Stop

I hates it! My Precious!!

I don't like the layout.. feels weird having the links on the left and the search results shifted to the right... my old codger eyes now overshoot the the left as soon as I hit the Search button (via the Enter key)

I do, however, like the Timeline view... Wonder wheel? Meh...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Google slipping?

Just typed 'search' into Google... top result? Bing!

1. spaxe

trying to recover old friends?

If you try that in Spain, Yahoo! comes first if you look for the noun ('buscador')...

2. Robin 2

Bing too?

Type "search" into Bing and you get Yahoo!

Type "search" into Yahoo and you get Yahoo!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I want originalgoogle.com

Or something.

No bloody automatic, "we think you're an idiot and typed that incorrectly so we're going to give you results for a completely different query". No "fuck the results, look at the pretty". No "sign is so we can track your every move".

And what is it with the Granny sized font?

1. Tom Chiverton 1
      Boffin

FireFox + Stylish ftw

Yum

2. A. Coatsworth Silver badge
      Go

It is here:

_www.scroogle.org/cgi-bin/scraper.htm

Just the results: no sidebars, no top bars, no ads, no automatic suggestions and no F*CKING LOCAL VERSIONS (I hate them. I tried to enter google.com, not google.we-are-watching-and-guessing-where-you-are)

3. karakalWitchOfTheWest
      Big Brother

I so totally agree with you...

I hate this layout... maybe I SHOULD switch search enginges....

4. Moogal
      Go

"did you mean..."

I've always thought that "did you mean...?" suggestions should be followed by a button labelled "No, I didn't"

5. L1feless
      Pint

but what if....

sometimes you are an idiot...or drunk...or tired and do mistype somethng...

See what I did there Google would have corrected me.

7. Tom Richardson
    FAIL

Yeah

I don't see any of this stuff either.

8. tomjol

@The Bloke

There aren't any settings, you just get it when you get it. Plenty of people (myself included) have been using it for several weeks - in some cases months.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

@thebloke

Click the "show options" link above the results.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Title goes here

At the top of the page, immediately above the first search result on the left hand side you should see the message "Show options...." with a plus sign next to it. Click on it and the sidebar should appear on the left

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Meh

It's been there for ages for me.

On the search results, providing a way of filtering the results. But really no surprise, and they're right about it being quite unobtrusive, I hardly noticed until I had a specific reason to use it (limiting a search for "news").

I wouldn't compare it with Bing at all though. I gave up on Bing months ago, after 5 wildly useless results in a row.

12. stim

woohoo!

go bing! :)

13. ravenviz Silver badge
    Joke

Gordon Brown Estate Agents

Now we know what's going on with the MP's second home scandal, GB has been taking commission on sales to MP's!

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

how many?

@AC

"after 5 wildly useless results in a row"

wow, you really gave it a good shot then!? wtf?... i would recommend trying it for a couple of weeks at least and actually learn how it operates... after a decade of google use, you'll be surprised how u're probably just on autopilot...

15. heyrick Silver badge

Riiiiiight... [but it is less naff than the mess they made of YouTube]

Initial search (Google.com in France, reverting to English, cookies (no /ncr)), looks like it always has.

After a search, I get *both* the top bar and the sidebar. Links on the side? Wow, how last decade...

If Google wants to improve things, could they either shorten the fade-in delay, or remove it altogether? It's no good saying it took 0.000x seconds to perform a search when it took three between Google loading and the toolbar appearing...

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Whimsical?

Really?

17. JC 2

Had It For A Month Or More, One Problem

The one problem I have is they made it dumb - no remembrance of what you sorted last time and no option to remember that via cookie. It'd be most useful for image searches among others, normally I'd like to just toss out thumnails from results if they don't also represent a larger res. pic through a link.

18. ratfox

Don't have a sidebar either

But I note that if I look for Gordon Brown, I get in fifth place a sub-box with a scroll bar which continuously adds latest results for Gordon Brown, twitter-style. Never noticed this before...

19. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Im feeling lucky....Bing WTF

type search into google, 'im feeling lucky' up comes bing...honestly google :L

its like typing in microsoft, 'im feeling lucky', and up comes mac XD

20. Tom Maddox Silver badge
    Coat

It's more Gnib than Bing

I.e., Google Now Is Bing.

21. Lennart Sorensen

Interesting.

I was wondering what was up with the results page today. I think I can get used to it. It seems to offer some potentially useful options.

Not like theregister switching to a fixed width layout and putting older articles that are popular up in the middle of things. That's still annoying me and making theregister harder and less efficient to use than before. i still want the old layout back. It was better in every way. Not that they care what I (or anyone else) thinks.

1. Neil Hunt
      Thumb Down

Change for changes sake

I hates it.

22. Spoonsinger

For firefox users use the following:-

(Found on web and seems to work)

Step 1. Download the firefox addon : Greasemonkey

Step 2. Install it and restart firefox when prompted

Step 3. Tools--> GreaseMonkey --> New User Script

Step 4. Name: SIDEBASE

NAMESPACE: SIDEBAR

(everything else I left blank), Press OK

Step 5. You might prompted to find your text editor. Choose C:\windows\notepad.exe

Step 6. Paste the following script in notepad screen that just popped up :-

function AddStyle(Style) {

var style = document.createElement('style'

);

style.type = "text/css";

style.innerHTML = Style;

document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(style);

};

AddStyle("#leftnav {display:none}");

AddStyle("#center_col {margin-left:0}");

LAST Step : Save

23. Steve 114
    WTF?

Give us a choice

This morning there was a '+' at the top, so I could take-it-or-leave-it, this evening the fonts have gone fey and there's nothing obvious to close the new sidebar. Options, please.

24. Spoonsinger
    Megaphone

Actually....

http://www.google.co.uk/webhp?complete=0&hl=all

As a Default seems to be currently a more elegant solution to getting rid of the abomination, (and works on "other" browsers)

25. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

And no option to go back to the old way...

Personally, I *absolutely* *friggin* *hate* the new "side bar" look, which Google doesn't even give a preference option for. i.e. no way to go back to the old approach

As a result, I'm now using other search engines. Problem is most of *them* also use this retarded approach too.

At least ask.com has a privacy setting whereby it doesn't store user searches for profiling. Now, if it's search results would only get better. :)

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tidy

Is it just me, or does Bing now look a hec of a lot tidier than Google. Google with this new bar and twittering in the middle with a scroll and news splattered around, seems to look like a right old mess!

27. Hans 1
    Boffin

That's been there for pictures

The toolbar has been there when you search for images for quite some weeks now ... news?

28. Sean Hunter
    Unhappy

In a word

...revolting.

29. Steve 53

Kinda makes sense

Given basically everything is widescreen now, this layout does make better use of screen real-estate.

I absolutely hate widescreens, they're possibly the biggest annoyance of my new laptop, but try and find a 4:3 screen or laptop now...

30. Doshu
    FAIL

suckage alert: absolutely horrible !!

Massive fail yet again.

Everything we ever needed from google was already present or accessible from their nicely minimalist interface -- a refreshing change of pace from today's overburdened, overcrowded website UIs.

Sadly, that time is over with yet more absolutely useless on-screen vomit.

Thanks for nothing google. You suck.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like