back to article Mark E Smith pens World Cup ditty

Ancient shout-at-the-bins Northerner Mark E Smith has penned a World Cup Song, to grunt England to success in South Africa this summer. He has the field to himself, since the FA has decided not to commission an Official Dirge for 2010. In the ditty, Smith advises the team to "take care of the invention of your nation", "socks …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Harry Tuttle
    Coat

Not appreciated

What next? Ratzinger becoming a rap singer?!

Steer clear of priests of all stripes, if you ask me...

1. Andrew Orlowski (Written by Reg staff)
      Coat

Especially...

...Hip Priests. They're not appreciated.

2. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse
    Go

The first person to "remember 1966" gets shot!!!!!

I am delighted to see Mark E Smith back in the news and look forward to hearing the song. The Fall are on a very short list of my favourite bands and are IMHO one of the truly authentic and seminal groups of the UK indie scene.

Please God anything this summer must be better than that unfunny twat Frank Skinner and his "football is coming home" dirge.

1. 4.1.3_U1

Glitter Freeze

Have a listen to 'Glitter Freeze' on Gorillaz' Plastic Beach album if you like Mark E Smith - my favourite track.

2. Peter Page

Ironic you mention Skinner

Frank Skinner has been a huge fan of The Fall for years. I heard him wax lyrical at some length on his radio show a few months ago. And someone told me he (attempted to) interview Carry Bag Man on BBC2.

You might now think less harshly of him next time he fails to make you chuckle or writes another song. Unless you're MES in which case no, you won't be adjusting your view.

Longhorn. Longhorn breed.

3. Big-nosed Pengie

World cup?

What world cup?

1. DavCrav

Yes, there is a world cup

You know, rugby. But it's not until next year, so why are people shouting now?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

world cup ?

there's a world cup on ? next you'll be telling me there's a general election.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

One thing to be thankful for

At least it means we get a few weeks of all the football bores being down the pub wearing silly glasses and not boring the arse off the rest of us.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Kicker... Kicker Conspiracy

MES is a proper football fan. Long before the nouveau football men he was writing songs like Kicker Conspiracy.

Incidentally, is liking The Fall a big geek thing? Just about every fan that I know is capable of writing some code.

This topic is closed for new posts.