back to article Ubuntu Server primed for the bigtime

Next Thursday, Canonical will open the internet floodgates and allow end user downloads of Ubuntu 10.04 Server Edition, the latest and perhaps most significant release for servers in the British company's six year history. Ubuntu 10.04 is what Canonical calls a Long Term Support (LTS) release, which means Canonical guarantees …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. It wasnt me

Wheres the volcano angle ?

All the news needs one.

1. Atli
      Linux

Lets see...

The Volcanic activity in Eyjafjallajökull was, rumor has it, meant to be a Ubuntu 10.04 promotional gag. It, admittedly, got a bit out of hand.

2. SynnerCal
    Thumb Up

Awaiting with interest

My home server runs on 8.04 LTS (64bit) and it's been very stable and reliable (those two characteristics being key imho to a "server" OS) - so as you can imagine I await the end of the month with eagerness. Heck, 8.04 has been good enough to use as a general desktop OS as well.- and this is on a "server" that gets used pretty much every working day (it's a VM host for web and software development).

I'm running the beta (in a VM hosted on the 8.04 system) and I've seen a couple of bits to be concerned about - hopefully these are just aspects of being a beta and production Lucid will be as stable as Hardy's proven to be (for me at least - but YMMV)

Yes, RHEL/Centos or Suse probably are better pure server OS's - deployed in rack upon rack of servers - but I prefer Ubuntu Server because it does manage to do "desktop" pretty reasonably. Just don't mention OEL - I refuse to use this because of Oracle's attempts to kill Solaris...

I'm not so bothered about the KVM stuff because I use VMware (extensively!) and the cloud stuff is also a big "meh" as far as I'm concerned, but I guess there will be be folks out there that need it, or want to use it.

3. sa771
    Thumb Down

What about use as an enterprise desktop server?

I'm a bit disappointed that none of the Linux vendors are seriously targeting the Enterprise Mail/File/Authentication server market.

Had to help yet *another* company migrate away from a windows mail/file server this weekend. Didn't like the fact that you *still* need to jump through hoops to get centralized authentication working properly on Ubuntu.

Come on! enough with the virtualization/Web market, the battle is won there!

Let's get some serious traction behind an Enterprise Linux server for supplying *Enterprise* desktop services.

The components are all there (Samba/LDAP/Kerberos), why can't we have an installation profile that does the configuration for you, and plays nicely on upgrades!

1. Jamin W. Collins
      Flame

Use the available tools

Why not put together a meta-package that pulls in and configures all the other bits? All the tools are there, or are you wanting someone else to do all the work for you?

4. ian.woodstock
    Thumb Down

Ubuntu leading with KVM, really ?

"We adopted KVM earlier than anyone else, and we are quite pleased with its momentum," says Zimmerman

That's just not the case. Fedora shipped KVM well before Ubuntu.

Then there's the matter of actual development.

How much work as Canonical done on KVM? I'll give you a clue, you can count the contributions one one hand and still have fingers spare?

Red Hat was contributing to KVM from the first days of KVM, long before the acquisition.

5. Dazed and Confused

Is 5 years enough?

Not there yet, but one of my Linux boxes is well on the way

$ uptime

10:48:01 up 1518 days, 13:59, 2 users, load average: 0.51, 0.65, 0.43

even then it was only rebooted 4 years ago because of a power supply failure.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

Nice uptime, but...

Kernel patching?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like