back to article India boasts more mobes than bogs

A UN think tank has revealed that almost half of India's 1.2 billion population has access to that most basic of human needs - a mobile phone - although a good proportion of them will not be using it while sitting on the toilet. According to a United Nations University (UNU) study (summary here in pdf), "545 million cell …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Nigel Callaghan

act now...

if you basically think this situation is a bad thing, then you can do something about it - either try and reduce the number of mobiles by grabbing every one you see (SatanPhones in particular) and smashing it (fun, but a bit negative) or be really positive and visit http://www.wateraid.org/uk and help to build a bog somewhere that really needs it.

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Well, yeah

"although a good proportion of them will not be using it while sitting on the toilet."

Shortage aside, most likely it's majority, given they don't *sit* on toilets. A hose as an alternative to bog roll is the norm too.

3. Is it me?

Sorry, but...

Isn't that the case for a lot of the world....

One suspects that many households have more Mobile Phones than Toilets, what the UK toilet to phone ratio, how do we compare to our major European competitors.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Typical

2 adults + 2 kids = 4 phones. Most houses have 2 toilets.

2. Matt Newton

I think it's a case...

of the fact that it's barely coming out of a 3rd world country and they seem more concerned about having a mobile phone than a sewerage system.

4. Toastan Buttar
    Unhappy

Hellish Merdepit

"Mobe-packing but khaziless Indians can at least take consolation from the fact that they benefit from a reduced risk of dropping their device down some hideous crapper and then getting their head trapped in the hellish merdepit while trying to retrieve it."

Never seen Slumdog Millionaire ?

5. Rob 55
    Paris Hilton

Now that just takes the piss!

Hang on nope nothing takes the piss after all!

Paris because she’s done things in toilets men dream off!

6. Daniel B.

Squat toilet

I doubt any Indians will be using their mobes while on the toilet, given the fact that they use the "squat" variant of the toilet. They don't quite sit on them .... the position required to use those "toilets" means that losing any concentration will end up into said user going down into ... well, you get the idea.

And may God help you if you have to use one of these while suffering diarrhea!!!

7. william henderson 1

so...

its not just bears shitting in the woods then.

8. gimbal
    WTF?

Third-world? Pardon, Do you really believe that?

Wow. I mean, seriously wow.

Does they has geography in th UKs? Or did someone just sleep through that class?

India ain't third world. It's India, enough said of that.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like