back to article Microsoft expects to flog 300m 270m copies of Windows 7 in 2010

Microsoft’s chief operating officer, Kevin Turner, claimed yesterday that the software vendor would sell 300 million 270 million copies of Windows 7 this year, even though he expects businesses to keep their budgets tight. Earlier this week the company said it had already flogged 90 million copies of its latest operating …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. The BigYin

Sales lies

It is (almost) impossible to buy a PC with Windows on it.

So when I buy an HP (or Acer or...) and reclaim the MS Tax for Win7, will that still get counted as a sale?

Assuming I can still reclaim the MS Tax that is.

2. John A Blackley

Dear Bill

Please reduce your forecast by 1.

At $120 to upgrade from the execrable Vista, I won't be joining the rush. (If there were any justice in the world, you'd be sending me a free copy of 7 with a note of apology for Vista attached.)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

Hang On...

"Clearly, there's work to be done by the Chinese government to improve IPR (intellectual property rights), or else that nation won't achieve its potential, in our view."

So they are already using your product but not paying...

And paying you will help them somehow? Which school of business did you go to???

1. idasben
      WTF?

Hang On Indeed

So yes you're correct for a country to successfully adopt Windows on 98% of its computers is a boost for them, they're all IT literate in an internationally recognised product. That's great if you want to be the new outsourcing capital of the world.

However what happens when someone in China actually invents something. Whats the motivation to innovate or develop their own software, rather than just peddling US stuff? There's not one because as Kevin Turner correctly said, the Chinese IPR are just a joke and unenforced.

Therefore while yes, they're all getting something for nothing now, they're also preventing innovation and development within their own country by their own people.

4. Inachu

What a rush!

Windows 7 was a breath of fresh air!

Vista home or ultimate would not install on my pc with 4 gig of ram

But I went and got a copy of Windows 7 and WOW! it runs so fast!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

What a rush?

Vista home or ultimate would not install on my pc with 4 gig of ram

But I went and got a copy of Windows 7 and WOW! it runs so fast!

Fair enough, but I have just gone from Windows XP directly to Windows 7, and am not nearly so impressed. Now, if only i can figure out how to turn off all that stupid fade in and fade out stuff...

2. Player_16
      Jobs Halo

So, tell me...

...how much did you pay MS to upgrade your machine? Someone as 'conservative' as youself should've received a reduced or free copy of W7 for your troubles instead of you having to contribute to MS's contribution of $9.5bn R&D pile.

5. regadpellagru
    Joke

Good luck

"Until we can work with China to respect intellectual property ..."

Good luck with this one. Kingdom will have come long before ...

6. Geoff Mackenzie

Re: What a rush!

What a weirdly enthusiastic comment. I have to assume it's sarcastic.

1. Goat Jam
      Gates Horns

or a shill

The post is required, and must contain letters.

7. Marty McFly Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Kicking & screaming...

Forced onto Win7 because I wanted to actually use (rather than simply carry around) my full 8Gb of RAM. It is the same Windows as before, except all the icons are different and locations have changed. I guess that qualifies as "innovation".

The good thing is I virtualized my old XP machine. I simply pull that up when I need to get something done which (surprise) doesn't work on Win7.

8. Big-nosed Pengie

And I expect...

...to sell 300 million pieces of my bodily waste.

Ask me at the end of the year how many I've actually sold.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021