back to article Samsung HMX-U10

The success of Flip’s pocket camcorders has seen a fair few manufacturers scrambling to grab a share of this potentially lucrative market. Many of us, it seems, quite like the idea of owning a product that lies somewhere between a cameraphone and a camcorder. Samsung’s HMX-U10 is for the person who wants a highly portable …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Sebastian Brosig
    WTF?

1/2.3-inch

Why this new interest in fractions with decimal fractions in the denominator? What's wrong with saying 11mm?

1. stu 4
      Thumb Down

standard

because it's a standard CMOS size - 1/2.3 inch.

it would be approximated to 11mm, but is an imperial size.

something tells me u don't own a set of spanners....

1. David Gosnell

Not even as simple as that

It all harks back to vacuum tube TV cameras, no doubt still used because it conveniently exaggerates the sensor size for those who believe it is a straight measurement.

See http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/key=Sensor_Sizes for the gory details, but suffice to say the actual size is about two-thirds of the numeric value.

A 1/2.3" sensor is actually about 7.7mm on the diagonal.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Your comment on jerkiness doesnt sound right..

You say that when the video was played back on a PC, it was jerky. Since the device itself doesnt seem to be involved in this case, that implies the file itself is jerky - it sounds like transcoding could have fixed up the timecodes in the clip to make it playable.

Since playback from the device itself takes up considerably less cycles that record, I would assume, from you comments, that the record process is a bit cack resulting in dodgy files.

1. Brian 6

@AC 09:49 GMT

"Since playback from the device itself takes up considerably less cycles that record, I would assume, from you comments, that the record process is a bit cack resulting in dodgy files." No the recorded files were fine. otherwise the transcoded files would have audio that was out of sync.

Still all we want is a small device with 720p at 30 fps (not 25 or god forbid 24) and a 10x optical zoom. OIS and a single button to set the white balance. That would do me :)

3. jason 7
    Unhappy

So no 25fps mode then?

Thats a shame and no image stabliser and optical zoom.

So near.......

4. Andy 97
    FAIL

Colour temperature

Again, Samsung seem to miss the simple things that are the difference between a good and a great product.

Colour temperature on the sample shots were all over the place.

Nice for weekend snappers, but it's not as good as a flip.

Also, no 25fps?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like