back to article For sale: One des res nuclear bunker

Anyone who's looking for a no-frills bolthole with a Cold War heritage might like to check out a 1959 vintage Royal Observer Corps nuclear bunker, set in "an elevated position with panoramic views over the Derbyshire Dales". Views of the ROC nuclear bunker The winning eBay bidder for this prime piece of real estate will …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Big one!

It's a big un. They were usually 7'6" square.

2. Pudding
    Thumb Up

Good deal

Better offer than most on your local Evil Villain retailer (http://www.villainsource.com/lairs.html).

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yar

It's the new datacenter for TPB don't you know.

4. Fr. Ted Crilly Silver badge

Home on the range

At last somewhere i can finally remove my tinfoil hat and send a gmail.

5. Anonymous John
    Happy

BT landline

<Ring ring>

"Hello?"

"Can I interest you in double glazing?"

"No.. We don't have any windows."

"??. All houses have windows."

"This isn't a house."

"??. What is it?"

"A converted nuclear bomb shelter."

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

BT

The phone line there will have a higher priority than most others in the UK - so when the masses panick and the networks struggle, at least you know you can dial the Cabinet Office.

I wonder how much the government sold it for - someone will be making a tidy packet - if only the governemnt sales/auctions were open to the public.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yeah right

I can't see it personally, System X is kinda non-discriminating.

7. Ian Halstead
    Terminator

In the 80s...

... I'd planned, on surviving any conflagration, to get hold of some oxyacetylene welding gear and do a good job of welding up the doors of any bunkers I came across. I knew where most of the the local ones were.

Imaging the faces if you will, after the two weeks of self-imposed isolation is up.

"At last we can get out of this hell-hole and build a future, a bright future worthy of our position and importance. I declare this bunker now open..... What do you mean the door's stuck Carruthers? God damn it man, let me have a go.... OK chaps, anyone know how much food and water we have left?"

1. Ben Rosenthal
      Terminator

flaw in your plan

as amusing as the latter part of the pan is, the actual method of surviving the nuclear firestorm sans bunker seems a bit sketchy.

and you've make no mention at all on dealing with the HK units that would surely follow :D

2. Anonymous Coward
      Boffin

I like your style

But, they were manned by Royal Observer Corps personnel, their main purpose was to simply observe where enemy nukes landed using a range of external instruments that worked on very low tech principles, then relay said information to the people in the proper nuke bunkers under GCHQ and Parliament so the people in charge of a rapidly vaporising nation had a general idea of what was left standing.

Interestingly enough, they did lots of training to ensure they could perform their tasks such as changing external measurement devices fully blindfolded. It doesn't take much to realise why they might need to operate without the ability to see, in the event of a full scale nuclear attack.

More info here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Observer_Corps#Nuclear_Reporting_Cells

8. ooooorange
    Thumb Down

Old

This same bunker was for sale a year or so ago, looks like whoever bought it realised it's useless...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pirate

Yes but...

... the new owner is media savvy and is generating awareness - so with a high bid they can make a tidy profit !

With the government requiring lots of money, I wonder what else they will think of selling off...

9. Peter Kay

Ideal for procrastinating writer?

Get someone to lock you in for a couple of days whilst you're forced to work..? Not going to get many distractions there.

10. Andy Livingstone

Buy to Rent?

How much to rent it during elections, World Cups, and similar threats to the will to live?

11. Graham Bartlett

Not bad

I could see climbing/walking/caving clubs being interested in renting this for weekends. Fit it out with a bunch of bunk-beds and you're sorted.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bid placed

Will be ideal to weather the next Tory government or, god forbid it happens, the next Labour government, just need to work out how many tins of beans for 5 years and. uprate the ventilation accordingly

13. Thorny
    Boffin

Used to be a massive one of these in Colchester

Yeah, there was a massive one compared to this in Colchester (corner of Lexden and West Lodge road) It was one of the surface-type shelters with a good foot of reinforced concrete as the roof, with blast doors, etc.. It even had two stories... Me and a group of mates in our mid teens took a load of tools with us and managed to take one of the doors off its hinges to have a look around, but by then the Observer Corps were no more, and there wasn't anything very interesting left apart from a couple of phone lines which were still connected which we used to make all sorts of prank calls. A couple of years later it was completely demolished and there is a couple of blocks of flats there now!!!

14. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Upgrades

Add a lawnmower, Carport, (several 50' Solar Arrays or a wind turbine?) a couple rows of corn, a cow, DSL, and Air Conditioning and perhaps you can live off the grid? How big is the entrance hole? Can for example some JBL's fit down it?

15. The Infamous Grouse
    Linux

Ulterior motive

This is all a con. Whichever poor sod buys it and goes down the hatch will find an old Apple II into which they'll have to type 4-8-15-16-23-42 every 108 minutes for the next three years or the world will end.

"Des res" in both senses of the words, brother.

(Penguin 'cos there ain't no Swan).

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Looks like

My old place in Crediton. The ugliest building for miles around! The advantage is the resident is the only one who doesn't see it.

17. David Sidebotham
    Jobs Horns

Time capsule

No. No. This is about the interior decoration.

Wow I wish my house would look that good after 30 years out of use and no heating!

No use looking for my coat. I've got it on and the helmet too.

18. neb
    Grenade

me wants the precious...

...as do the rest of the budding fritzls on this and other sites

gaffa tape...check

hessian sack....check

ball pein hammer....check

a gentlemans weekend retreat no less

19. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

System X - yeah right

I think you will find that one of the benefits of system x is the ability to have call hierarchies that are designed to allow important calls to get through. This was designed precisely with atomic war in mind, that and all sorts of other contingencies, flood, etc. The same is applied to cell phone sites, certain sims have priority over others in the event of a congested network - as do blue light calls.

Hand grenade - cos they dont have a mushroom cloud (common reg sort it out)

20. fidodogbreath
    Pint

The ultimate man cave

Room enough for flat-screen TVs, gaming systems, sports memorabilia, beer, snacks, and whatever else warms your cockles. The positive-pressure oxygen system makes it impervious to estrogen infusion.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like