back to article ISS gets bay window onto Earth

In a highly anticipated finale to their mission, NASA astronauts have thrown open the shutters on the International Space Station's new room with a view. During the last of three spacewalks planned for Endeavour's 14-day mission, astronauts Robert Behnken and Nicholas Patrick removed insulation blankets on Tranquility node's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Graham Marsden
    Coat

But...

... when do they install the quad laser cannons...?

2. Gary McCabe

TIE Fighter?

Isn't that the view from a TIE cockpit?

1. Andrew Dowd

yes....

... hence the obvious relief that there are no X-WIngs buzzing around.

"Window wash, Window wash...."

"No thanks....."

"Really? which of these aerirals can I bend for you, cheapskate??"

2. Mike Flugennock
      Thumb Up

Just what I was thinking...

...that it looked like a TIE cockpit, or perhaps the view from the Millennium Falcon turret.

Some of the astronauts made some interesting observations: Nicholas Patrick (you go, UK!) commented that the view from the cupola was actually better than the view while out on EVA in some ways, one being that you can just relax and check out the view while not having to concentrate on work, and dealing with being inside a suit; Jeff Williams mentioned that while inside the cupola, your sense of "up" and "down" were a bit disturbed because the cupola, being in a fixed position facing Earth, gave you a strong sense of looking "down", and made him worry a bit about opening his pockets for fear of items inside falling out. One other astronaut -- I forget who, right offhand -- said that it was almost like being able to stick your head outside the Station and take a look all around you.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

Don't be fooled...

The films said "a long long time ago" etc but they were actually a prophetic vision of our own future. That look had to start somewhere...

1. Neoc

Re: Don't be fooled....

Actually, the film said "A long time ago". It was the location which was "far far" away. Gotta get those repetitions right. ^_^

4. Annihilator
      Boffin

TIE, Millenium Falcon turret or Death Star

It looks like the cupola in the Emperors room on the Death Star, you know, where the Emporer, Darth and Luke watch the final battle.

Oh, I'm afraid the deflector shield will be quite operational when your friends arrive.

3. Mike Flugennock
    Pint

Oh, and one other thing...

...was not just the spectacular view from the cupola, but the scene in the module in the immediate vicinity of the cupola while on the dayside. After being used to seeing scenes aboard the station entirely lit by the slightly-dim uniform light of interior flourescent lighting, it was rather startling to see the whole inside of the Tranquillity Node being flooded with the natural light of earthshine.

4. Mark York 3 Silver badge
    Alien

Isn't that the view from a TIE cockpit?

Yes & no pesky rebel scum in their X-Wings in it's sights.

5. Neoc
    Coat

I wonder...

Since they named all of the modules, what did they name this one? "Francis Ford"?

yeah, yeah - coat, door, got it.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Hang on, someone's missing

Is it me, or shouldn't there be an imperial throne in front of that window so that astronauts can mutter "something something dark side, something something something, complete...." I demand the installation of one this minute.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Another great pithy "off the cuff" NASA pronouncement.

They never fail to raise a smile.

1. Mike Flugennock

I'm not surprised...

...as these days, it seems that every time they accomplish something, you'll hear an astronaut (usually a mission CDR) or Capcom or Flight Director recite some dry, feel-good prose about thanking the team on the ground or some such.

It's almost as if the crew actually has a page in their cuff books -- or the mission controllers a page in their checklists -- with the text of whatever touchy-feely PAO-mandated blather they're required to recite after a booster clears the tower, or after a new module to the Station is opened, or a new solar array is brought online, or the HST is released back into orbit, or whatever. It really does sound like they're reading off of a script.

Oh, for the days of the free-wheeling comms of Apollo missions; there was no pre-arranged statement when the Apollo 10 LM went out of control -- Gene Cernan simply blurted out "Sonofabitch!" for everyone back on Earth and their cats to hear. Iirc, only the respective CDRs first words upon stepping onto lunar soil were chosen ahead of time; everything else was off the cuff.

8. mark adrian bell
    Thumb Up

From a different film

Now they need an android named Ash to look out of it.

9. TeeCee Gold badge
    FAIL

That Kathryn Hire quote.

She deserves a slapping. The correct thing to radio back for posterity as the first quote with the windows open is of course: "Hey! I can see my house from here."

All those millions spent to set the gag up and she fluffs the punchline.....

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Odd mental connection

Every time I hear cupola I can't help thinking Norm Abram....

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

what we really want to know is

What has become of the ill-fated piss recycler?

1. Mike Flugennock
      Thumb Up

please, no more piss-drinking jokes...

At last report, the urine recycling system was "all go" -- so to speak.

12. Bill Fresher

Ahhh...

It must have been a real walah moment when they opened the shutters.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Grenade

Ha ha!

'Walah' moment. Classic.

13. Scott Thomson
    Grenade

What are they going to use the Robot Arm for?

Answers on a post card please

14. Owen Carter
    Happy

X-Wing indeed

Last time I saw a view on my monitor like this a husky voice was coming over the intercom saying 'The force is strong in this one, follow me.' graphics were worse though..

15. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

@ AC 10:00 - Typo

Surely you mean 'Another great Sithy "off the cuff" NASA pronouncement'

Yes, mine literally would be in the Cloakroom.

16. Andus McCoatover

Beautiful

Simply beautiful!

Well done, folks. Let's hope it (ISS) lasts more than 5 years.

(Pizza and beer night tonight, at Cupola Skyview Castle, natch!. It's Italian, after all.)

17. Blofeld's Cat
    Alien

Missed opportunity

It's a pity that someone didn't stick a little flying saucer on the outside of one window. Then as the last shutter come down...

The icon would have worked equally well.

18. Bill Fresher

Question

When people eat in space does the food floating around their stomachs not make them feel sick?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like