back to article Delayed Visual Studio 2010 RC due this week

The delayed next edition of Microsoft's Visual Studio is due as a release candidate by the end of this week. The release of Visual Studio 2010 was announced on the Visual Studio Lab Management team blog here, with the news the Lab Management RC would also be available later this week. According to the blog: "We have taken a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

title here

Visual Studio 2010 was "slow, consumed a lot of memory and the worst thing, with enough modules loaded it stopped fitting into the 2GB address space on 32-bit machine,"

Oh good. I see MS haven't learned. I have a quad core pc with 4gig of ram and VS 2008 Pro runs like a dog with no legs.

Note to MS - quit adding more bloat and concentrate on getting the core stable.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Linux

Thats funny

There was also an article, not more than 3 months ago, by one of the Visual Studio development team, posted in the Visual Studio start page, explaining why it didn't make sense to create a 64-bit version.

I believe the (sound) logic was that if your app fits in the 32-bit window, making it 64-bit only adds pointer bloat. I guess in 3 months they've managed to bloat it by several GB?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

It took me a while...

but I must say Eclipse is simply a better IDE. I miss properties and operator overloads, but Java is a better platform that C#. I've gone on record as saying I'd rather shoot myself than wait for another ActionScript compile, but mxml beats Silverlight any day.

I don't see a future in developers paying thousands of USD/year for a bloated POS like Visual Studio, especially when MS beats up their customers like this:

http://blogs.msdn.com/ericlippert/archive/2009/12/10/constraints-are-not-part-of-the-signature.aspx

(Link pulled from start page in Visual Studio)

1. Jon 37
      FAIL

Re: Eclipse

I would have said how Eclipse is far too bloaty and slow for an IDE... but it seems Microsoft have given VS2010 the same problem.

I have VS2005 and VS2010 Beta 2 installed. 2010 is much much slower to start.

Icon for VS2010.

2. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Re: Eclipse

I would have said how Eclipse is far too bloaty and slow for an IDE... but it seems Microsoft have given VS2010 the same problem.

I have VS2005 and VS2010 Beta 2 installed. 2010 is much much slower to start.

Icon for VS2010.

3. GrahamC
      Flame

really?

"beats up their customers"? Someone from Microsoft who helps write the C# compiler discussing and trying to explain why an apparent compiler bug that no-one will ever run into is actually ok. Oh no! Some kind of openness! Think of the children!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Grenade

This is a classic case

of "its not a bug, its a feature!". Here you have a post where hundreds of people in the community responded saying that this "feature" violates the law of "least surprise". Whats more is that to "fix" it wouldn't break any other cases... it would simply cause it to behave correctly more often. And instead of admitting a failure in the CLR spec, Eric is defending C# by saying it adheres to the spec.

Look, it pisses off your users. It doesn't make any sense. Fixing it wouldn't hurt anything else. Fix it! Don't give long winded BS arguments.... never mind. If you can't see the logic here, you never will.

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

I would mock...

but the challenge is gone.

4. Tarthen
    FAIL

Performance?

It /is/ .NET, after all. Can't expect too much.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Halo

C# FTW

Visual Studio is by far the best IDE in the world. It has an incredible amount of features.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

Really?

I agree c# is the best language currently, but are you confusing the language with the IDE? Just a couple things off the top of my head:

1. There is no good subversion integration

2. Solutions are created into their own folder, when even the IDE really wants them in the root

3. It is tightly integrated with MS languages

4. No support for XAML

5. Service packs require a completely clean machine, or else the install results in failure

Have you actually used NetBeans, Eclipse, or any other IDE for any amount of time, or are you just BSing?

6. Glyph
    Alert

Someone step up!

I hate that I have to admit liking visual studio better than any other IDE. Its the only MS product I like. But for native C++ the only IDE I've used that comes close is Xcode (which comes very close). I really wish someone would use this chance to step up and make a better IDE. Preferably for linux. I don't understand how anyone can use eclipse for c++, its just *so* slow even on my quadcore, and the UI is always finding new ways to confuse me. Kdevelop and anjuta might be within striking distance if they focus. As things stand I use vi, and I'm much slower without my intellisense encompassing every standard library and api I'm using.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like